• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 Tyre wear!!

Hi all,took my wheels off for a good clean.. seen as we dont have much to do as of lately!!

Well to my surprise the inside edge is showing the cord and they are all split,very surprised one hasn't gone bang!!(these are the front tyres by the way) the rest of the tyre has about 2.5/3mm left

Luckily f1 autocentre is still open and I'm off for two new ones on wednesday.

My concern is tracking,will tracking solvebthis problem or is that just the way the tyres will wear down? I've heard people say about camber bolts but cant find any anywhere! Is it something that can be altered or will tracking be a waste of money,help appreciated

That does sound like tracking/front wheel alignment assuming you keep an eye on tyre pressures. I’m guessing toe out on both sides would cause the inner edges to wear like that.

Camber bolts if anything would place more wear on the inside of the tyre so go with tracking. That’s best done on new tyres too.

Just keep an eye on it then

The fk2 seems to over time have a tendency to go out of track and become toeing out. When the car is tracked up on a 4 wheel enlignment they first check the front to rear alignment, then the front alignment which should be 0 + - toe in 2mm . When the front alignment is carried out normally the steering wheel is lined up with the front wheels so when you are driving straight the steering wheel should be straight on a level road with no run off. Once this is set and tightened up your steering wheel should stay in the same position.As I say if you are on a road which cambers to the left the steering wheel will of course be slightly to the right as you are steering slightly up hill and the same for a camber to the right the steering wheel will be slightly to the left.Once again you need to be on a level and straight road the steering wheel should be straight and if deviates from this position then the front wheel alignment has altered. Usually in my case slightly to the right. Upon having the front wheel alignment checked and was shown to be out was set to the correct setting. What causes this can be kerbing the tyre hard or potholes in the road and over time will need redoing.Usually every 9to 12 months.? Also check the tyre wear of all four tyres the inside depth,middle depth and outer depth to see how the tyres are wearing, this can show a tracking problem and or
Incorrect tyre pressures causing uneven wear.
Regards Fred.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back