• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 EP3 strange idle

Hi,

Experiencing a strange idle when engine starts to warm up. Revs up to 2000rpm and then back down to 1000rpm and repeats itself. Regardless of driving or not. Battery is stone dead and I believe it may be alternator related and a new battery would sort it. Does this sound right? Or is there another reason.

L

If car has been sat for a while it will be the idle control valve. They’re known for sticking. Had issues with mine on my DC5.

All it took with mine was to leave the throttle body open to atmosphere overnight while I was working on something else and it starting playing up. I was convinced it was a vacuum leak and spent days working it out. Finally took of throttle body, cleaned IACV and ran sweet after that

Looked into them a IACV's. Appartly they run using electromagnetic which requires decent current. I'll wait until I get a battery before doing anything. I mentioned above that the idle issue didn't start until warmed up. Thinking maybe is starts when I take it off the jumpleads. Maybe not but will wait and see.

Mine did exactly the same. The IACV gets bypassed until the engine warms up then the revs just go up and down in a cycle. If theres enough current to keep the engine running theres enough supplying the IACV. Your battery is only used for startup and then your alternator is doing the work. I'd put money on it being IACV. Look up the process for removing the IACV body and cleaning the little rotating metal butterfly. I used brake cleaner to get rid of the build up of crap. Get it spotless and then a blast with some WD40. Spin it by hand repeatedly until it feels silky smooth then dab all the WD40 residue out again.

Yea can confirm it was the IACV. Running perfect now. Simple enough fix bar a extremely stubern screw and the wierd 5 point, torx like, star shaped screws. All of which were converted to flat heads lol.

It wasn't even that stickty. It was just stuck in the position it has been in and as soon as I freed it up it was fine.

Back