Home
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meister R CRD vs HSD Monopro vs Bilstein and Eibach

Default Meister R CRD vs HSD Monopro vs Bilstein and Eibach

Hi All,

Recently bought an EP3, and it is fitted with HSD Monopro Coilovers, and also came with a set of Meister R Zeta CRD coilovers aswell. The HSD's are a couple of months old. The Meisters were taken off the car by previous owner, no idea of mileage or why they were changed to be honest, but they seem in decent condition.

I'm toying with the idea of getting bilstein B6 with eibach springs put on. I used to have these on an old VW for 5 years, and it was a great set-up. Covered 100,000 miles with no problems at all. The Ep3 is not an everyday car, it's a weekend toy, but nor is it a track car, and I doubt I will ever track it be honest. I have been reading up about the 2 brands of coilover and there is varying opinion on both.

The HSD's seem a little firm at the moment, but I haven't had a chance to play around with comfort settings yet. They are also too low currently on around a 50mm drop, but at max height should be around 30mm lower. I know the coilovers offer that adjustment, but it's not something I'm going to have a need to play around with I don't think. I want a set-up for fast road to enjoy a spirited weekend drive, and also commute etc when the mood takes me every now and then. I live in North Yorkshire, and it going to be moors/dale roads that I use the car on, and hard/low ride is more of a hindrance than anything, and have found myself having to back off on some rougher roads because of the current set-up.

Would you guys use one of the sets of coilovers I currently have? Or would you get a more standard spring and shock setup?

Advice much appreciated.

Thanked 8,513 Times in 5,329 Posts

Youíll struggle to beat standard dampers and Eibach lowering springs. I personally wouldnít touch HSD with a barge pole.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    Youíll struggle to beat standard dampers and Eibach lowering springs. I personally wouldnít touch HSD with a barge pole.
    What makes you say that about HSD's? Are Meisters any better?

Thanked 5,205 Times in 3,526 Posts

Iíve been in numerous drift cars running HSDís, on tracks that are bumpy and crappy, and Iíve always found them to be good.
    I drove a turboíd MX5 on them and it felt good to me. They are very responsive, not as harsh as the coil overs on my MX at the time, and had good adjustment.
    Some people love them some donít. Itís all down to preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Trolling for the Lolingz since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by joeyj26 View Post
    What makes you say that about HSD's? Are Meisters any better?
    HSD's are the same unbranded crap coming out of Taiwanese factories with some fancy graphics. Meister are better now that some stuff is made in the UK and their customer service is going to be a whole load better.

HSD's are the same unbranded crap coming out of Taiwanese factories with some fancy graphics. Meister are better now that some stuff is made in the UK and their customer service is going to be a whole load better.
    Would you still got a more standard shock and spring setup over meisters though?

If itís just a road car the. Standard dampers and Eibach springs are very hard to beat, especially for the price.

If itís just a road car the. Standard dampers and Eibach springs are very hard to beat, especially for the price.
    If I'm going down that route I dont have any of the original suspension parts. What would I need?

Dampers,
    Springs
    Front and rear top mounts

Anything else?

Thanks

I used Eibach springs with Bilstein B8's but not coil-overs
    Cosmic grey EP3 Track slag, Hondata + M-Factory + 242 bhp
    Kuga AWD daily - SOLD
    BMW 335D X drive + M Sport pack

Quote Originally Posted by joeyj26 View Post
    If I'm going down that route I dont have any of the original suspension parts. What would I need?

Dampers,
    Springs
    Front and rear top mounts

Anything else?

Thanks
    You could get Bilstein or Koni dampers instead of OEM, as you may not be able to get new OEM for a good price.