• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Just had a full engine rebuild and looking for advice

Right so i just had a full engine rebuild because cylinder 3 was loosing compression due to poor piston ring wear. Ive got a Ep3 k20a engine pretty sure they're 197 bhp stock. Oh the engine is sat at 75,800 miles.

Obviously the main stuff was changed like full gasket & bolt set new spark plugs oil filter etc etc.

The thing i'm curious about it i had to have my cylinders over-bored (and a surface grind not sure what that means) as cylinder 3 was scorched.
I had a 0.25 increase in each cylinder which makes it a 2.1L now right? So i had genuine.25 o/s pistons put in with the rings that matched he also put in "race main bearings & big end bearings" in his words. I had the head skimmed and tested plus a new timing chain and oil pump.

My question is will the race bearing and big end bearings actually make any difference to my car for reliability or BHP?

Does the increase in displacement mean my car will have more BHP? Or does it need a Map to take advantage of the bigger pistons etc?

Any ideas on how much BHP my car will have at the minute? It's bone stock apart from everything else i've mentioned.

The mechanic also said having my head skimmed would increase compression he said i had to have it done anyways but was wondering if thats actually the case and does that increase bhp?

Thanks for reading i just dont have a clue how some of this stuff affects your engine in terms of reliability and BHP gains and if i need a tune to sort of bring it all together. So i would love a reply from someone that does thank you so much.

Hi, If you had the bore enlarged by 0.25mm by my calculations , the cubic capacity has gone from 1997 cc to 2010 cc, (although my maths is rusty)so no you wont notice any difference due to the increase.. But we may notice a difference considering the engine should be running standard power

Back