• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Weird roll feed back when I corner at speed

Wondering if anybody can explain what the car is doing when I enter corners at speed. The car feels like it rolls on the tyres when I go round a corner. Its hard to explain, its like if you put a balloon under your hand and roll your hand back and forth slightly. Its feels like the car is moving like that when entering left or right handed corners. The tyre pressures are correct as I did these the other day. The anti roll bar links where on the mot as a advisor, but im looking at replacing these. What can I do to remedy this weird roll feed back.

Last edited by a moderator:
O.k, cheers. Looking at changing these soon anyway. What is a decent tyre for the oem 19". Dont want to pay crazy money. £100-£130 is probably my limit, if I can keep under the £130 I would be happy.

That's the ones.
I've got the earlier AS3 on mine and they are great road tyres, AS5 is said to be better.

This may be either useless or helpful information but when I used to run AS3’s on the DC5 I found out there were two types. Can’t remember the specifics but I think it was something like the number 87 or 91 on the side.
This related to the sidewall rigidity with the 91 I think it was being more money but better sidewall rigidity.

No idea if that’s still the case several years on but as it’s that you’re specifically looking to resolve, I figured it could be worth mentioning.

This may be either useless or helpful information but when I used to run AS3’s on the DC5 I found out there were two types. Can’t remember the specifics but I think it was something like the number 87 or 91 on the side.
This related to the sidewall rigidity with the 91 I think it was being more money but better sidewall rigidity.

No idea if that’s still the case several years on but as it’s that you’re specifically looking to resolve, I figured it could be worth mentioning.

I think the numbers relate to the load index of the tyre, meaning a certain load rating like 91 wiil imply to a certain weight capacity for that tyre. Could be wrong, I can just remember reading it some where a while ago when I was looking for tyres for my other car.

I think I will look into the eagle f1, its coming close to needing the front tyres changing. May be the tyre roll was from me pushing the car and tyres to hard and to the limit into the corner. It just didnt feel right and I lost a bit of confidence with the car going into corners hard. It felt like when I was turning the car would roll slightly, then slide a little, then wham it would grip and bite into the corner. I dont want that, I want it to feel and grip straight away when hitting the corner. Hope this makes sense..

F1’s are also know to be on the softer side on the sidewalls.

Yep thats what I was alway told. Compared to the re070 (popular alternative of the time) the F1 was lighter and had the better wet performance but they weren’t as rigid on the walls. Worth doing some more research on tyre choice.

What are the previous cars you’re comparing with OP?

I noted much more front end loseness in the FN2 compared with the DC5 so promptly added the LSD within a couple months which made a huge difference to my confidence with the car.

I've got F1 asy 5 on my TT, haven't tested them out properly as I'm only going to the supermarket. They feel sticky to the touch and feel very grippy on the roundabouts.
Having too stiff a sidewall on a car like the FN2 with it's very stiff suspension, on 19 inch wheels and our crap roads might not help.

Right I gave been doing a little digging. The numbers 87 or 91 is the load index of the tyre, basically load/weight on the tire in kg at a specified psi required, thus holding the vehicle. Higher the load index, more material used stiffer the tyre becomes, it can take more weight and a higher psi From what I have read you can get the same tires with different load index. They can be slightly different in the psi required. In short the higher the load index(more material used makes a stiffer tyre)So if that is the case, then with using the higher index. Yes I will have possible stiffer sidewalls, but then surely I would be giving up grip in the corners because they would be less deflection in the tyres. So with having 19" tyres with a low sidewall high index I would incounter a lot of understeer.Bloody hell didnt think it would involve so much thought process for new tyres required or am I just overthinking this.

Yes tyres can have a dramatic effect on feel - best fun car I had was a 2.0L Mazda 323F sport running Toyo T1R, handled like a go kart.
Put them on the Mazda3 2.0L sport and they did not feel the same at all.

The original load rating for the FN2 was 88.
Looking at Blackcircles about the only 88 rated tyres seem to be runflats (usually for BMW) - wouldn't want them on an FN2 especially with 19" wheels.

The 18" AS3 is rated 92 and I have not noticed any issues with them even in spirited driving but then I do have an LSD.

BTW I have 94 rated Bridgestone Driveguard runflats (17") on the 1.8 Si (oem loading 92) and this doesn't seem to be too harsh or affect the handling.
It is similar to the FN2 except for the softer feel to the shocks giving a bit more body roll.

You pays your money and takes your choice - general opinion is the F1 or Michelin PS4 if this forum is anything to go by.

Yes tyres can have a dramatic effect on feel - best fun car I had was a 2.0L Mazda 323F sport running Toyo T1R, handled like a go kart.
Put them on the Mazda3 2.0L sport and they did not feel the same at all.

The original load rating for the FN2 was 88.
Looking at Blackcircles about the only 88 rated tyres seem to be runflats (usually for BMW) - wouldn't want them on an FN2 especially with 19" wheels.

The 18" AS3 is rated 92 and I have not noticed any issues with them even in spirited driving but then I do have an LSD.

BTW I have 94 rated Bridgestone Driveguard runflats (17") on the 1.8 Si (oem loading 92) and this doesn't seem to be too harsh or affect the handling.
It is similar to the FN2 except for the softer feel to the shocks giving a bit more body roll.

You pays your money and takes your choice - general opinion is the F1 or Michelin PS4 if this forum is anything to go by.

Is that general opinion for 18s or have alot have them on 19s also
Looks like I might stretch to the michelins.
Might fit michelins to the front, see how they are, then in the coming months move them to the rear and fit the f1 and see how they get on or is that classed as bad practise.

I suspect that most of us have 18" as the 19" Rage alloys were a £ cost option.

Not sure about putting different tyres front/back, certainly don't mix on the same axle.

Back