• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Inner rear wheel arch liner problem?

I’ve had my FK8 for around 18 months now and when I wash the car I’ve found small stones trapped in the gap where the rear wheel arch extension meets the side skirt. I thought the stones were flicked into the gap from the back wheels. I’ve found today that the rear wheel arch extensions were full of stones that have made there way through a gap in the arch liner on both sides of car. The gap is so big I can get my fingers between the arch liner and the wheel arch extension. The gap is roughly in line with where the wheel arch extension meets the door. I had to pop the first clip on both sides of the wheel arch extension to release a handful of stones from each side. I can see this as a potential for rust at a later date as I can see the stones wearing through the paint with vibration. I’ll have a word with my local dealer when they are open but it’s a serious design flaw. Has anyone else had this problem.

Cheers

Dave

I get the first issue you cited with the stones collecting in the little gap but assumed the same. Will be interested to have a look. Will report back.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Hiya. I can’t put a photo up as I’m not on any sites where I can store them. I can email a couple to anyone if they want to see them. Alternatively this topic has been mentioned on another forum but I’m not sure if I’m allowed to post a link.

Post a link. If you're on TapaTalk, posting pictures is really easy.

Alternatively drop me a PM and you can email me the pics and I'll stick them up. :smt023

Here is the link to the same thing somebody else has found. I can get my finger in the gap that’s below the lump that’s on the inner liner in the first photo without pushing anything out of the way. Both sides of my car are exactly the same. The gap is direct access into the wheel arch extension.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/rear-fender-liner-issue-ctr.14324/

Loxy, I’ve taken a couple of my own pics which show where i can stick my finger through. I’m not sure if it makes it any clearer than those in the link.

After reading the civicx thread general consensus is that honda have used the arch liners from a standard civic hence they don't quite get to the edges of our flared arches . Just checked mine and yes its the same as pictured in link, can stick my fingers through gap, hey ho be interesting to see if anyone has a different set up but unlikely.

It’s the amount of stones that came out when I partially pulled the the arch extension away from the car where it meets the side skirt. I really do think it will be a rust trap as they wear through the paint on the inner steel wing. I’ll bring it to the attention of my dealer when they open and see what they say. I’m in this car for the long haul as I retire in a couple of years and want to keep it especially with all the new legislation coming in soon. The last thing I wanted was it be rotten in 5 or 6 years time.

I'm with you on that. Depending on valuations at PCP end I want to keep this car but... tin worm is a big problem! I'll have to check this out. If it's bad I'm going E92 M3 (and change the big end bearings obvs)...

I’ve messaged my local dealer so I’m waiting for a reply. I doubt Honda will admit there is an issue. I’ve had another look and I think I might have fix using some standard 90 degree plastic trim and 3M double sided tape. I’ll see what the dealer comes back with first.

Back