• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

K20 Bottom End Failure

Hi Everyone, purchased my 3rd ep3 at the end of last year and all was going well until now. Took the car out for a drive last night and all of a sudden there was a rattling sound coming from the engine that got really bad and now sounds like heavy knocking which im assuming is from the bottom end. Hopfully getting the car back home today and going to have look around and had some questions.

What could cause a bottom end failure? Car has never been starved of oil and only ever used quality oil.

Is it worth spending the time and money on a k24 bottom end conversion or just stay with the k20a2?

What sort of money would I be looking at for an engine rebuild for either a k24 frank or just on the stock k20a2.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

If it ever happens to mine, I'd go k24 with some decent cams and the k20 vtc gear. Area motorsport have done this on some of their enduro cars with good results, very similar to a frank build but with lower costs I'd have thought.

The bottom end could have been caused by previous oil starvation, it doesn't take much to cause problems further down the line. Unfortunately the cranks are scrap once the big ends have worn or span.

I hope this helps.

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 using Tapatalk

Back