• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Hondata flash pro questions and or Alternatives

He's tuned my car twice in the past and I was happy with the results both times. Is this based on bad experience?

I see he's doing a lot for Syvecs and huge spec GTRs etc. Maybe the Honda jobs were just a side project?

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Quite a few people I know with Honda’s not happy with his work. And I know of people in the GTR community now not happy. Part throttle jerkiness, rough idle, rushed jobs. My DC5 was mapped by him, had it redone by another mapper and much smoother.

That's definitely not a good sign then. My second tune with him was just a tweak but it did seem fairly quick. 45 mins I was in and out. But it drove really nicely.

Since then I've used Jesse twice and his attention to detail is really good, AFR is bang on the whole way through the rev range, any slight variations and he'd be back in to get it spot on.

I'd say the only tuners who I haven't heard bad reports from are Jesse and EFI.

I know an engine builder and his mate with a GTR had this to say:

<redacted> said his gtr would kangaroo below 10 mph, stall at junctions, hesitate on gear changes, literally hideous everywhere. But full throttle at strip it was fine. The gtr i just finished with drives nicer than an 80k audi and the pedal is the torque delivery and its instantaneous. But iv'e got 3 months of time in that map

Yeah that sounds typical for a WOT tune on a dyno. Very little interest in part throttle which always seems mad to me.

Well I took the plunge and went with Hondata through Paul West and paid for a remote tune. It was more complicated than I thought but im rubbish with computers so for most its a walk in the park.

So ECU jailbroken and new map up loaded and what a difference, night and day different, more pull, smoother pull, so much more responsive and induction is louder along with dump valve sounds,

Paul says there is still some fine tuning to do and I need to send him some datalogging to do this but initial thoughts are very good.

I will update here once we have completed the next stage but Hondata and Paul have made my car even better to drive.

Regards
Baz

so without sounding like a complete numpty, this is all done remotely with Paul on the end of the blower?

What are your numbers at the mo?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I took the plunge and went with Hondata through Paul West and paid for a remote tune. It was more complicated than I thought but im rubbish with computers so for most its a walk in the park.

So ECU jailbroken and new map up loaded and what a difference, night and day different, more pull, smoother pull, so much more responsive and induction is louder along with dump valve sounds,

Paul says there is still some fine tuning to do and I need to send him some datalogging to do this but initial thoughts are very good.

I will update here once we have completed the next stage but Hondata and Paul have made my car even better to drive.

Regards
Baz
Good to hear! What made you go for hondata in the end. Might have thought Paul West talked you into ktuner as I know he favours it

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Bazza

Be interested to hear how you're getting on with the remap?

Also a couple of bonus questions as it's the weekend 1) was it done literally remotely and 2) I thought Paul preferred Ktuner, is Hondata the only one that can be done remotely or were there other reasons?

Appreciate your assistance in the great remap debate i am having with myself and is currently occupying my time at the moment...that and love island Australia

Sorry for the lack of update, I have been on holiday and work is now very busy, excuses excuses I know.

I am currently Datalogging the base map so Paul will have more info for a better tune to my driving style and setup, Paul never really pushed K tuner and to be fair I was wanting to go with Hondata as I had done research on current owners and more than happy so far (except for the extra $250 to jailbreak I wasn't expecting)

Everything has been done remotely so far and I'm rubbish at IT and managed to get there. I'm not too sure if Ktuner is available for remote tuning to be honest.

Pauls service has been superb, always there to help even at weekends, so far very happy with my decisions to choose Paul and Hondata, Car is so much nicer to drive even before he has finished and way more power than I will ever need until I get used to it :D

Regards
Baz

Thanks! So what do you think the power sits at now?

EDIT: And so you have any other mods?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! So what do you think the power sits at now?

That's a tough one, I have to say it has a harder pull in 2nd 3rd and 4th , better pick up in 5th and 6th without changing down, Car feels rocket powered from before and its quick out of the box anyway. I only have eventuri induction and always run on high octane fuel, the difference is very noticeable through the complete driving experience, I'm not figure chasing but I would say it must be around 340-350 and bags more torque.

Baz

****UPDATE****

well we are now onto V2 of the remote mapping and the car feels way more powerful again, this has given me huge smiles but has also thrown me some dilemmas, to get the Datalogging required involves some serious speed and hard driving, this is really hard to do living in rural Norfolk and along with traffic and poor weather its not ideal, I really think the next stage is to book a few hrs on the rollers as I really don't want to end up with a driving ban or the car in a dyke/drain, both would be a huge negative impact to owning such a wonderful car :eek:

Gonna speak to Paul and see what he advises, remote tuning is cool but on road datalogging carries many risks on the local roads around here.

needless to say though the car is awesome with the current map and way more power than I expected, still happy with the money spent.

Baz

****UPDATE****

well we are now onto V2 of the remote mapping and the car feels way more powerful again, this has given me huge smiles but has also thrown me some dilemmas, to get the Datalogging required involves some serious speed and hard driving, this is really hard to do living in rural Norfolk and along with traffic and poor weather its not ideal, I really think the next stage is to book a few hrs on the rollers as I really don't want to end up with a driving ban or the car in a dyke/drain, both would be a huge negative impact to owning such a wonderful car :eek:

Gonna speak to Paul and see what he advises, remote tuning is cool but on road datalogging carries many risks on the local roads around here.

needless to say though the car is awesome with the current map and way more power than I expected, still happy with the money spent.

Baz

The rollers are great way to do it, we bedded and mapped new race engone in on the rollers, not being road legal no other option really. When you saying serious speed what is he asking flat out upshifting in all gears?

It's typically full throttle 4th all the way up the rev range from when I had my S2000 remote mapped.

Back