• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Lowering springs, thoughts?

Has anyone lowered their car? Considering getting a new set of alloys and looking at dropping it slightly too.

I've seen eibach and h&r springs are a similar price and both seem reputable. I've also seen tein offer a spring kit and are a chunk cheaper but don't know much about them.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Has anyone lowered their car? Considering getting a new set of alloys and looking at dropping it slightly too.

I've seen eibach and h&r springs are a similar price and both seem reputable. I've also seen tein offer a spring kit and are a chunk cheaper but don't know much about them.

Any thoughts?

I’ve had Eibach and Spoon springs on my previous type R’s but not on my FK8. I would recommend Eibach’s from my experience. Tein have a good reputation as far as I know. You will probably find more info on the CivicX forum than you will on here as there’s way more people on there that have done modifications.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/forums/type-r-suspension-chassis.109/

You may need to fit adjustable camber arm’s/bolts and have the geometry set up as well.

no plans to lower mine, but i presume these work absolutely fine with the electronic dampers?

I looked at spacers for a while, as it gives it more 'stance' as well, but then heard of upsetting the balance blah de bah...

Yeah from my understanding jus the springs alone are fine with the dampers. Yeah I looked at spacers too and was worried about that. However you hear a lot of people saying as long as you don't go beyond et45 then there's generally no noticeable difference but I think the only spacers that fit with needing some 'modification work' are 25mm plus. After a costly refurb on one of the stock wheels I didn't really want to push them closer out, think I'd rather just save and get a new set of wheels

Was on a drive out on Sunday with my mates, Lambos, Maccas, Porsche, M3, GTR etc and they all worry scraping on the drive outs we do, where as I don’t. The handling for road is spot on, I get dropping it looks good but not sure there is a performance benefit on the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
The handling for road is spot on, I get dropping it looks good but not sure there is a performance benefit on the road.

I think if you downsize the wheels the car will need to sit lower otherwise the location of the wheel in the arch will look off, particularly with 18” wheels. The main benefit is cosmetic however the Eibach springs improve the ride quality over the standard springs on my previous cars, I presume this would probably be the same for the FK8. I am also enjoying not having to worry too much about speed bumps etc after 20 years of avoiding them in my previous cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I drop the wheel size I will go for a taller sidewall to compensate for the gap a little even if I don't end up lowering it. Either 35r19 or 40r18. It's more cosmetic that I'm going after than handling. Might end up tracking it once or twice but I just don't want to buy some cheap springs and totally wreck the handling for daily driver. I've read the up on the eibach springs and they're supposedly setup to give comparable ride quality to stock.

Personally, I wouldn't.

I've had Eibach lowering springs on my previous 9G Civic 1.4, and whilst they were worthwhile there, with a manifest handling improvement, they led to frequent scraping / height concerns, even with a very modest drop.

I couldn't bring myself to touch the suspension on the FK8:- It's been setup with the explicit purpose of "Fast road and track" and they've done an excellent job of it:- There are plenty of places where I'd scrape in my previous car that I can continue without worry, which is rather refreshing.

Furthermore, the highly integrated systems make lowering rather more problematic:-
wU4EUmw.png

HCyat7s.png

From the service manual, you can see there's a stroke sensor on each of the wheels used for on-the-fly adjustment of the active dampers. With lowering springs, you'll be taking the dampers "out of tune" (Once again, I could feel this in my previous "Boggo" civic with lowering springs, and whilst I wouldn't say it's a major complaint, it becomes a niggle every time you notice it) - Not to mention the fact they're also linked to the headlight levelling system et al.

In all, Personally, I wouldn't do it.

There's a visual improvement, but there will be a performance sacrifice in terms of damper tuning (Really not dreadful / terrifying / crash and die, but niggling if you notice it) and ability to drive over speedbumps / potholes / steep ramps!

Back