• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Buying an ep3

Hi guys, I am currently thinking about buying an ep3 type r, had a look at the car, all seems well. Only thing that is bothering me is on a previous MOT it had failed because of the rust, I stay in Scotland so the roads are pretty bad. Is this something I should be worried about. It had passed the mot after getting the rust sorted. But I am still concerned.

Attachments

• 0244B484-3EDF-4AF4-942D-C6D01793CF5C.png
    0244B484-3EDF-4AF4-942D-C6D01793CF5C.png
    550.2 KB · Views: 44
Depends on what you are looking to spend? You'll get a stock response that it's a 15 year old car so should expect some rust. My last ep3 was an 06 plate and was spared any rust problems. That said if I had kept it I would have got it under sealed.

He’s taking 3k for it. I am aware there will be rust. Am just not wanting to buy it and put my foot through the floor

It depends on what part of the suspension mounting area is suffering.
If it’s lower arms, then yeah that’s gonna happen. Take them off, assess the issues, if it’s fixable then treat it and paint it and put them back on. If not replace them with new or newer items.
If it’s rust on the shell where the suspension mounts, that may be a bit more to worry about depending on how bad it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve yet to see underneath it. However to my knowledge it has been welded, however will need to see how good it has been repaired. Everything else about the car seems fine. It is going to be a second car and since I am only 19 the car and insurance is enough money nevermind sorting this that and the next thing

There are others around with little or no rust. At £3k you can get a very nice one. I bought my ep3 last week for £2k and it has no rust.

Usually face-lift cars with the carpet rear arch liners. They hold damp and all the crap off the road and just rot the arch behind the sill :(

Thanks for the feedback. Next day with good weather I am going to have a good look, always kept in a garage. Not too sure if it’s a premier edition or 30th anniversary?? Has pure red recaro seats momo steering wheel. Just wanting it to be a good purchase. Rust is the only thing worrying me

Premier models:
2005+
Black rear bench
Red and black recaro front seats
Momo embossed on steering wheel
Red carpets
Tinted rear quarter glass
Type R embossed callipers

The red recaros could have been swapped for the premier seats. Seems odd though given they’re the same seats as the premier and JDM all red seats.

Yeah I’ve not seen them before. So if rust isn’t too bad I should go for it? FSH and all the rest. Tried to upload a photo but wouldn’t let me.

There are others around with little or no rust. At £3k you can get a very nice one. I bought my ep3 last week for £2k and it has no rust.

I'd steer clear, it could turn into a money pit - there are nice ones around with little or no rust....

Am going to try and get some shots of the underside for you guys. But your absolutely right. If it is really bad then I’ll stay clear. Scottish roads don’t help that either I suppose

Back