• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 2020 grille

I can see I can buy this from USA, but anyone know if it is available here? If my air condenser needs replacing going to do grille and rad at the same time.

Thank you, going to order one, between that and a larger rad I think the car will perform better on warmer days and if I track it I would hope will manage better than currently.

iirc i read from the usa forums you could need the eye-brow black plastic parts above the headlights too ?

Last edited by a moderator:
don't you also need a different 'rubber flap' (for want of a better description) for the front underside as the new grille creates lift, which the new flaps counteracts

don't you also need a different 'rubber flap' (for want of a better description) for the front underside as the new grille creates lift, which the new flaps counteracts

I have read up on this and I think you would need to be absolutely on it, top speed style for it to have any impact. Some thing I don’t intend to ever do.

Some say you don’t need the eye lids and some say you do need them.
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/2020-type-r-parts.45008/
Reading this I’m not sure if it’s 100% confirmed?

This is a good video I saw the other day regarding the over heating issues on track.
https://youtu.be/dkA1DWXkIYk

There is a lot of opinions on cooling and in summary most agree on oil cooler, rad, wider grille opening, in my experience on a hot day the car is slower, regardless on or off track so with this in mind I’d rather keep the engine cooler keeping the power on at all times than mess around with power mods as I genuinely think the standard engine is plenty quick for my ability. The only other mod I’m looking at is a more aggressive dif and geo.

have you looked into the j's racing grille ? (and the copies) they seem to give plenty of air flow :D

I saw Dreams Time Attack car, I would think a phone call to Phill would be worthwhile Matt.
VJw0pB3.jpg

http://seiboncarbon.co.uk/products.html?make=179&model=419&find=2018-honda-civic-type-r-476528

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this definitely the right part number? It looks like the US version without holes for the parking sensors to me.

The part number is from the CivicX forum, so you’re probably right, I didn’t realise there was a difference.

Problem solved get a 2020 Type R :lol:

I have enquired but little information on pricing, delivery dates, told production for U.K has been paired back, unsure how true that is.

So I've gone ahead and ordered the following two parts from Cox Motor Parts:

71121-TGH-A51 - 2020 Front Grille
75701-TGH-A01 - 2017 Rear 'H' Badge (smaller badge - carryover part and fits the new grille)

£163 for both including VAT and delivery. They came back with those part numbers without me supplying any to them. It was found using the European parts lookup system, and the illustration shows holes for parking sensors apparently. They must just differ between regions as the US cars have no front parking sensors.

I'm hoping to fit them next weekend, so I'll keep you all updated and take a few pics.

Sorry for the delay, I fitted this a few weeks ago but didn't get the chance to jump on here and talk about it. Fitment went well in the end, but it's not for the faint of heart. Main challenges:

- Getting the bumper off wasn't easy. I initially tried to do it without lifting the car at all, but there are 30+ fixings so you'll need to raise it off the ground to see where they are
- The grille doesn't come with any holes for parking sensors, so I had to drill those out
- The parking sensors have mounts glued to the original grille, which I had to scrape off and re-glue to the new one
- Wiring harnesses for the parking sensors are a bit of a faff to swap over

Positives are that I much prefer the look of the new grille, it looks less fussy than the pre-facelift version. I always disliked the big slab of shiny plastic over the grille, which curves upwards at each end and has big openings above it.

The new one is far cleaner in design - a single opening with straight edges at the top, with the radiator now much more visible where it wasn't before. I also got to remove the huge number plate plinth that's bolted on from behind the front bumper.

To drill out the parking sensor holes, I bought one of these (click here). You'll need to drill a small pilot hole in the middle with a thin drill bit (there are factory markings on the back of the grille), then start with the stepped one. I managed it with some precision in the end, but it's pretty nerve wracking when you're doing it.

trps.jpg

I haven't yet done another track day with it on, so I'm not sure of the cooling advantages. I did a recent track day at Donington before fitting it, where the coolant gauge was getting very close to max. despite it only being 18 degrees C and rainy. Hopefully the new grille will help things a little, especially with the number plate plinth removed which seemed to block some of the lower opening too.

Appreciate the write up. Sounds like a ball ache especially to a complete numpty like me. Also I think it doesn’t do a great deal to help with heat soak as problems still reported in the US. But looks better and best it can be so fair play

Back