• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Windscreen/roof rust - New-ish owner

Hi all! New-ish owner of an '11 plate Milano Red here. Moved to the Red H at the end of 2019 from a Gen7 Celica and was signed up to the Celica Club UK forum so glad to see this site seems just as helpful!

An errant stone from a wagon hit my windscreen and chipped it last month and I was sure I read somewhere that Honda are a bit less helpful when it comes to sorting the roof rust issue (if it happens!) if the windscreen has been replaced. Is that the case? Can't see it needing to be fully replaced as it's low down on the passenger side but just in case before I book a repair I thought I'd ask. And also, had the roof rust issue been resolved on an '11 plate with it being the last year of production or is it likely to come to us all at some point!? :)

Cheers, look forward to contributing more often!

Rob

Mine's March 2011 and has the new softer rubber strip across the top of the screen.

If yours is the same, and it should be, then you should not have to worry.
Just run your finger across the strip to lift the edge against the roof and have a look at what is under it - most likely just dirt.

Just as an update to this, I have an 11 plate car and I looked under the windscreen rubber yesterday... the very start of surface rust on the drivers side. I've peeled it out for the moment, cleaned it all down and given it some touch up paint over the areas where chafing is visible.

Hi guys

Just a bump to this thread as I remembered I never got round to posting a photo underneath my windscreen rubber at the time. I've just thought about it now as it's in for a service at Honda Wigan tomorrow and I want to mention it if it needs looking at. There's a definite groove in the paint and as you can see, it seems to have cut through to white underneath in some parts. Would appreciate anyone who knows the info as to whether I need to get this sorted sooner rather than later.

Cheers in advance!

roof rust.jpg

Yes get them to look at it.
If you tell them they have to respond rather than assume they are going to do it unprompted

Cheers. Went down there first thing this morning. Guy on the desk at Wigan (Cox Motor Parts franchise) knew what I was talking about immediately and said they'd photograph it and send it to Honda to see what they say. Also said it needs full Honda service stamps which mine isn't but from previous owners is about 4/5 out of 7 Honda stamps so have to see what they come back with.

He did also say something along the lines of "they've bumped it up to 12 years" if that's any different to what other people have been told about the corrosion warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:
They have accepted claims without full Honda history.
The structural corrosion warranty has always been 12 years. The surface corrosion was only 3 years maybe that is what he's talking about

Should hear back from Honda in a few days. Wigan dealership took photos and a copy of the service book although he did say they couldn't see much even with peeling the rubber back which potentially sounds like a fob off if the groove I can see is the result of having the harder type of strip and is just sat there waiting to get worse

Brilliant cheers. Hardly a big outlay for what it's potentially going to prevent! Do you know how much of a PITA it is to fit?

Simple.
Just lift the old one like you did for the photo and keep going across the screen, just peels out.
Clean the gulley out and put in some wax polish and the new one goes back in the same way, just tuck the free ends under the roof rail.

Good stuff! I'll see what they say and if it's a no then just do that and I can start going to TDi North for services instead of main dealership just for the stamps

Had a call back from Honda Wigan. My claim has been rejected as they can't see evidence in the photos and the service history isn't complete. I enquired if it basically needs to be actually rusting for them to fix it and didn't really get an answer, seems ludicrous if they know it's an issue not to do a basic fix on it now that will potentially prevent a larger job later for them and also to potentially annoy a customer but what do I know!

I will take it up to Honda Bolton when I next get chance and try my luck there.

Back