• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Low speed steering wobble

I wonder if someone has had similar symptoms please:

I've got a low speed wheel wobble, like, car park speeds. I suspect I've got a sticking caliper but I don't know if that's in addition to this problem or that the wobble is a symptom of the same thing. There is no vibration under braking.

All my symptoms:

1) Pulling to one side on the dual carriageway. Not consistent, sometimes it does it and sometimes doesn't, but noticeable when it does.
2) Low speed wheel wobble. Wheel will oscillate left and right quite significantly when driving around 20-30 mph, sometimes even slower.
3) One rear disc feels hotter when parked after a drive.

I can't work out if I've got one problem or two. I know the car had a driveshaft done just before I got it, but knowing the seller it was almost certainly from a scrap yard so that could be on its way out. The car had goodyear tyres on the left and no-name brand on the right, so I moved the wheels around to put the cheap tyres on the front (Rather a little understeer than unexpected oversteer). They will be swapped out asap. The wobble started roughly around that time.

I have got parts coming to replace a lot of the braking system, including all new discs, pads, fluid, 2x rear calipers and all new slider pins. I'm hoping the pads will come with new sliders otherwise I'll be getting new ones of those before going any further too. Car is fitted with standard LSD.

Any suggestions very welcomed, thank you.

update; I'm at work so can't do much right now but I've been round the wheelnuts and they are nipped up correctly. Also took it for a short drive, no knocking or clicking on full lock.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the wobble started after you swapped tyres round then there's a clue.

Could be uneven wear (tracking ?) or putting directional tyres on the wrong side.
Check the front tyres to see if OUTSIDE appears on the outside of the tyre or if there are direction of rotation arrows.

If one disc is feeling hotter than would indicate a sticky caliper piston or sliders. If you cannot bear to touch the wheel then the caliper is well and truly done for.

Since you are looking at getting both tyres & brakes done I would hurry those jobs along and then see what happens.

So now it's developed into a shuddering, wheel shaking tyrannosaurus of a wobble. Felt like a flat tyre. Whole car shuddering. Hope this makes it easier to diagnose... Applying brakes and handbrake made no difference, neither did dipping the clutch.

So today I found time to get the car jacked up. On the cheap horrible tyres the previous owner fitted a massive bulge has appeared in the centre of the tread. It's massive; the size of bar of soap. No wonder things got juddery! Lets just hope I haven't knackered my dampers in the process... new tyres ordered... a good brand, not the ditchfinders...

Had Nexen on mine when i got it. soon changed them for GY AS3.
Serviced at Honda all the way then put cheap crap like that on it!

Which GY have you gone for AS3 or new AS5?

I’ve never understood why people skimp on the part of the car that keeps it on the road...

Had Nexen on mine when i got it. soon changed them for GY AS3.
Serviced at Honda all the way then put cheap crap like that on it!

Which GY have you gone for AS3 or new AS5?

Nexen tyres aren't that cheap of a brand, I've got nexens all round on mine and love them.

Back