• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Hot Type R fn2 brake callipers and discs

Hello all,
First time poster, so go easy :) Recently bought myself a fn2 and noticed the passenger calliper was sticking and the calliper was super hot after a drive. Pads have plenty of life in them although the discs have the common lips around the bottom but are still in good usable condition. Decided to replace both callipers with refurbished genuine Honda ones with new pistons, sliders seals etc and took the car for a hard drive. The new callipers and discs were both super hot after the drive although I was braking excessively to test them. I decided to them replace both rubber flexi brake pipes are they can collapse within and not allow fluid to return after lifting off the brake pedal and keep the piston out potentially still having the brakes on. Again I took the car for a drive with some excessive breaking and again the callipers and disc felt super warm. When I drive the car and break normally / occasionally the calliper and disc still feel warm. I'm starting to lose the will to live with this and looking for some advice. I believe the front callipers are a weak point of the fn2 as have heard a few people having issues with them. Any advice what I should try next? I guess the only other things to change would be the discs and pads or master cylinder, just don't want to keep buying parts needlessly changing out?

Cheers

How old is the brake fluid? Are the brakes actually binding still? I had a stuck caliper on my fn2 and it smelt very strong, the disc went a very purple colour too.

As you’ve said really, the brakes are a weak point. I was never happy with mine. A good test for binding brakes is to find a slight slope and check the car rolls down it freely. If that’s the case your setup is fine which I expect it is if you’ve installed new calipers.
Heat in the brakes is quite normal, it’s just how well this is managed which you’ll feel through the pedal. I’d say if you have decent fluid that’s all you can do on your standard setup. Next step is forking out on a BBK which isn’t cheap.

How hot is hot?

If your caliper is truly stuck you won't be able to touch the wheel let alone the caliper.
Brakes will get hot if you brake hard repeatedly over a short period!

How do they feel after a quick drive around town for a couple of miles?
If you can touch the caliper you don't have a problem.

Hello all,
First time poster, so go easy :) Recently bought myself a fn2 and noticed the passenger calliper was sticking and the calliper was super hot after a drive. Pads have plenty of life in them although the discs have the common lips around the bottom but are still in good usable condition. Decided to replace both callipers with refurbished genuine Honda ones with new pistons, sliders seals etc and took the car for a hard drive. The new callipers and discs were both super hot after the drive although I was braking excessively to test them. I decided to them replace both rubber flexi brake pipes are they can collapse within and not allow fluid to return after lifting off the brake pedal and keep the piston out potentially still having the brakes on. Again I took the car for a drive with some excessive breaking and again the callipers and disc felt super warm. When I drive the car and break normally / occasionally the calliper and disc still feel warm. I'm starting to lose the will to live with this and looking for some advice. I believe the front callipers are a weak point of the fn2 as have heard a few people having issues with them. Any advice what I should try next? I guess the only other things to change would be the discs and pads or master cylinder, just don't want to keep buying parts needlessly changing out?

Cheers

You have already had new calipers fitted etc, how do the brakes feel?

Did you replace the sliders with new and new rubber boots? Did you grease the sliders up well?
If you have put new calipers on it will be unlikely that the caliper itself will be the issue unless you are super unlucky. It will most probably be a slider pin causing a bind.

I recently got two refurbed rear calipers for my EP3 and got new slider pins, retainers etc to be sure it's all new, didn't do this with the fronts in the past and like you new calipers still a bind, even though I cleaned and greased all the pins etc, new sliders etc shortly after and no problems then.

Instead of excessive hard braking, leave car overnight so you know brakes are cold and go for a normal drive with no hard braking for a few miles, if you have a sticking caliper or a bind you will feel more heat coming off whichever is binding, you can expect some heat but if you go around all four wheels you should feel more heat coming off one which is binding. You could also see one wheel covered more in brake dust from the pads if they are binding.

If you are braking hard and then trying to diagnose a bind it will be hard work because the brakes will get really hot from hard braking.

You can also use a laser thermometer if you have one handy which will instantly tell you the temperature of the brakes, if one is a good few degrees hotter than the other you know that will be the one causing problems.

Sorry for a long message but hopefully it will help

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

didn't realise that, it came up as a new post on mine never mind maybe someone will like the advice

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Back