• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

ep3 clutch

my ctr was sorn but now after 8 months i am getting it back on the road. mot is booked next week. bought a new battery for it started ok but i think the clutch cable is loose as the pedal goes down to the floor with some resistance at the end. anyone know how much to replace clutch cable ? i think my clutch is ok as it was replaced few years ago and i dont drive it hard thesedays. i think i would need new brakes and discs front and rear and prob rear caliper as the handbrake always weak and it s mot failure every year :( thanks

The clutch is hydraulic, no cable. Check the small reservoir next to the brake filler cap for fluid first.

Might be air or leak in system?

Having been stood, it could be stuck down so check if you have drive but remember to keep the handbrake on in case it releases suddenly and jumps forward.

Good luck!

yesterday before i started the car, i could select the gears but today could not engage the gears and the clutch is very light and only abit of resistance near the floor. no cable ? ok will check fluid tomorrow. what fluid do i need to top up if its low ?

Once you've checked the clutch reservoir and or bleed the clutch, if its still stuck (won't disengage) put it in 4th gear, sit in the car with the clutch depressed and get some mates to push the car backwards and forwards, this should free the clutch...

thanks everyone that was helpful, will check it today and hope its an easy fix

had the car 18 yrs and still did not know there is no clutch cable :)

Once you've checked the clutch reservoir and or bleed the clutch, if its still stuck (won't disengage) put it in 4th gear, sit in the car with the clutch depressed and get some mates to push the car backwards and forwards, this should free the clutch...

how do you bleed the clutch ?

i just checked and the level is at the max and the top bit felt like there is a vacumn when i pull it out, so i did not top it up, i screw the lid back on. i pump the clutch but its still light. it goes into gears but i havent started the car today so i dont know if the gears will work if i started the car. maybe the rear are seize on after not using the car.

Well I couldnt find the nut to drain the clutch, but i syringed some of the fluid out and top it up with fresh. The clutch seems to be ok. The old fluid is green probably algae haha. Probably need to renew the fluid completely.

Back