• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Premium fuel

Apologies in advance for the question and equally this is my first post and lastly Iam a real novice when it comes to cars, although I suspect this will change following x2 weeks ownership of an Fn2.

The question I have Premium Fuel or normal (not supermarket) fuel.? Read a post that suggests to maximise MPG to read the owners manual and ONLY use what Honda recommends.

I will hand over to you guys, although suspect a lengthy debate?

Thanks,

PHIL

Hello and welcome. In my FN2 I use regular 95 octane fuel from shell or bp and then every 4th fill up put Shell v power in for a treat ;) however when I fill it with shell v power, I don’t notice any difference in performance or better mpg? Maybe a few miles 10-20 but nothing major. One of the important things you should concentrate on when owning a Type r especially a k20 engine, is maintenance. Do regular servicing every year or every 10k and use full synthetic oil ( 5w-40), change the oil filter and air filter at the same time. Also check the oil every week to make sure it’s on the full mark, my FN2 isn’t too bad on oil consumption but my EP3 uses about 400ml every 600miles. Enjoy ownership, they're great fun cars.

Your car will have a knock sensor which detects detonation. It will tentatively advance the timing until it senses the very start of knock, then retard it slightly. If you use higher octane fuel then it can apply more advance before detonation. To be honest this is going to be way more noticeable in turbocharged cars. Normally aspirated its not so noticeable.

Supermarket fuels are a funny thing, depending on who you talk to they are either whoever was cheapest for the supermarket buyers to buy from that day (so from Somerfield you might be getting Esso, Shell, Murco or whoever), or a cheaper version of the top guys fuels without the detergents etc. The obvious one that strays from that is Tesco 99, which as said is 99 octane, one of the highest octanes available on a forecourt right now. However how much of the detergents they use in that I've no idea.

Personally if I'm just planning to bimble I put in either, if I've got a track day or something in mind I use the better stuff, and although I don't object to supermarket fuels I do whack in a well known brand every now and then just to be sure. I don't use any additives as I figure if it was any good the big companies would have bought them out years ago.

All that is just my opinion of course, I respect the many variety of views likely to be thrown up here.

Found this quote elsewhere:
"Tesco's 99RON Momentum is made by Greenergy. It's not a bad fuel ie. it meets statutory minimum standards. But, the octane rating is achieved by dosing it with up to 5% by volume bioethanol"

I believe thats how they get the higher octane in V-Power too. Not going to bother modern cars but older cars the rubber hoses and seals didn't like the ethanol

"Tesco's 99RON Momentum is made by Greenergy. It's not a bad fuel ie. it meets statutory minimum standards. But, the octane rating is achieved by dosing it with up to 5% by volume bioethanol"

I believe thats how they get the higher octane in V-Power too. Not going to bother modern cars but older cars the rubber hoses and seals didn't like the ethanol

I thought all petrol was E95. And soon to be E90 apart from the premium fuel which will stay 5% for a little while longer.

Either that quote was very old or is talking garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've heard this also.

I just got rid of a 340i Msport on PCP which had the M-Sport Powerpack (370bhp/480NM) and it said in the blurb it was mapped to higher octane fuels. I used Tesco all the way through and it was fine. But just before I got ride, during lock down when normal petrol was sub £1 I started using that, and honestly I couldn't tell any difference.

When it is cold and the air is dense, you can tell when you put in decent fuel the engine has more of a bark but in terms of noticeable performance I can't tell.

I was at Donington Park the other night in my FN2 they have eye wateringly expensive 104 Ron fuel there and again, little in the way of noticeable difference, I'm sure it does have an impact you could measure with a machine but driving around on the road, I'm sure it makes little difference other than to your wallet.

To sum this up, just use what it states in the manual. I use 97 plus a shot of millers octane booster to bring it up to 99. As it clearly states what to use and why in the manual.

1afb1fd1f7201da2d466ac30c10b5f98.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back