• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Washer Bottle cap doesnt fit (Yes you read that right)

Right, I feel like a right plonker asking this but here we go.

My Wives FN2 Type-R came with a broken screen wash cap so I ordered her an original part from Honda (Part #76802-SMG-E01)
However the new cap will not sit right on the 'Head' of the washer bottle. The bottle is simply too wide to accommodate the diameter of the cap. I've taken some pictures of the old cap and the washer bottle here: https://postimg.cc/gallery/nmd201b

You can actually see on the old cap where the old owner must have snapped it trying to get it to fit. It's almost like the neck of the bottle is too wide for the cap?

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong here? I've messaged Honda and they insist I have the right washer bottle cap for the car?

Thanks all :)

That Cox Motor Parts link has a box you can enter your vehicle registration to double check :p

Huh, the one you've linked to at Cox reckons it's the right one when I put the REG in. But their site clearly states it's for a 2012-2016 model, not a 2010 like mine is.

How odd.

No unfortunately not :/

And yeah, I think I'll give my local dealer a ring tomorrow and find out if I've been sent the wrong item!

Last edited by a moderator:
Might have sussed your problem.

If you are trying to push the cap on flat with the neck it won't go, it is not soft plastic or rubber so has little give in it.
There is a lip round the neck that locates the cap to seal it.
You need to start with the cap at an angle so that it locates with part of that lip and then work round the cap and it should pop on.

I think it gets split because people are just too rough with it because it is tight.

Could always put it in some hot water first to soften it up.

Hey, sorry about only just seeing this!

Yup, I definitely have the right part. The part # is on the bag they sent the cap in, and it matches what's on that website.

I spoke to Honda and they think that part #6 in that diagram you provided has been replaced by a unit from a Honda Jazz. Apparently the Jazz has a wider neck on it than the Civic does. This would explain the difficulty I'm having (And maybe others?)

The car is with Honda in a couple of days for a Valve clearance check so I'm going to leave the new cap with them and I'll see what they say and report back :)

Thank you for your help Wilmo!

I ordered one from the ebay link from markthomasbrand.

Same part number and fitted fine.
Was a bit tight but fitted it as I described above.

I ordered one from the ebay link from markthomasbrand.

Same part number and fitted fine.
Was a bit tight but fitted it as I described above.

Sorted!

Tried the hot water method and managed to get the cap on, but once cool it was almost impossible to get it back on. So I whipped out the old Dremel with a mild polishing bit and gently went around the rim of the bottle neck and took off about 0.2mm.

Now the cap sits lovely and tight, but it's actually possible to get it on! :)

Back