• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 FN2N Had all 4 injectors out / cleaned, now car wont run..

Yesterday i took my injectors out to clean them
Used one of those rig kits that you see on youtube were you connect a wire to battery terminals and flush through carb cleaner

That part went ok, my injectors were clean too which surprised me for 97k miles..

All 4 injectors were out the car at the same time most of yesterday afternoon, good few hours

Before taking them out i opened the fuel filler cap and left the screw in cap just resting in the fill hole to releive pressure.

Put the injectors back in, started the car and it ran awful, real spluttery, cut out after about 10seconds

Then i realised i hadnt shut the fuel filler cap back up properly. did that, started car up and same again, real rough then cut out

Tried again and it ran fine this time for about 60seconds then died

Tried again, sputtering and cut out..

Tried again, it ran properly again for about 30 seconds then started sputtering, i tried keeping it going by pressing throttle in a bit, it still died

Then it got to the point were it only turns over, it wont even attempt to fire up

Left it and tried again an hour later, same, turns over fine but no sound of it trying to fire up

Left overnight tried again this morning, still same, only turns over, not a single sound of it trying to start up

My first thought was the Plugs arent giving a spark

But after some reading last night, it sounds like theres no fuel getting to the engine / injectors

This would make sense as the few times it started it was like it was running out of petrol

Theres quarter tank of petrol in the car, front ends still jacked up high (dunno if this makes any difference)

Anyone got any advice on any tests i can do before getting a mechanic out? Im gonna pull injectors out tonight see if any fuel comes out the rail like it should do

Will also pull the plugs look at them, ive got spares in the garage

Im thinking its a fueling issue though rather than plugs not sparking....

I dont know anything about fuel systems, but ive had injectors out of other cars yrs ago for longer periods of time, put them back it and no starting / running issues.

Thanks very much

Last edited by a moderator:
Would suspect fuel starvation with only 1/4 tank and front jacked up.
The fuel filter & pump are central to the tank which is under the front seats so may not be enough depth of fuel.

Thanks for the reply

I did wonder if it being jacked up quite high at the front 'may' cause something

But i thought that was just wishful thinking on my part

Soon as i get home i pop the front wheels back on, let the car down..

With my luck i Cant see it being that easy though haha

Just put front wheels back on, car back on ground and level

No joy, still no start, not even an attempt

While sat in it holding the start button in for a few secs, a 'check system warning light' shown on the rev counter display briefly,
Looked like a steering wheel though, ive not seen one like it before

Its not there when i just have the ignition turned on, and plugged my foxwell scanner in, no fault codes present..

Further info..

Just took the plugs out, plugs 3 and 4 Tips smelled a bit of petrol

Put my dry spare set of plugs in, still nothin when trying to start the car

Next i undone the fuel rail and took each injector out one by one, a bit of petrol leaked out each of the 4 openings in the rail like it should do

So this tells me fuel is being delivered ok to the rail

Problem must be with the injectors?? Maybe ive screwed by cleaning them out with carb cleaner?

I can get used injectors cheap enough, but would like to be sure first

Anyone know if any fuse etc may have tripped just from removing all 4 injectors for a few hours...

Thx

Are they coded injectors? Did you put them back in the same place?

Just a wild stab in the dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dunno if there coded..

Yes i kept them in the same order 1-4 as they came out

I dont think the coding applys when still using honda std injectors, think thats only for aftermarket / upgrades

My foxwell nt650 scanner does 'injector coding' but i dont know how to do it.. Not had the scanner long..

Are all the wiring plugs refitted to the correct injector?
Are the sealing washer things all fitted?
Is the fuel line refitted correctly?

I've never cleaned modern petrol injectors. They're away from the combustion chamber and have petrol running through them which acts as a cleaning agent and is filtered from the tank.

Just out of interest, what voltage are the injectors? Did you supply 12v and they are ballasted down to 6v in use for example?

It does sound air-in-the-lines related but usually these things are self bleeding, its not like the old days. It could be that the fuel pump isn't working because its not seeing pressure in the rail and is shutting itself off. I wonder if there is a cludge to force the fuel pump to work.

Just out of interest, what voltage are the injectors? Did you supply 12v and they are ballasted down to 6v in use for example?

I used a little 9v battery to power them while shooting the carb cleaner through them

It Powered them on and off fine, when id watched all the youtube vids of doing this cleaning they were always using a 12v car battery or the little smoke alarm type 9v battery

Are all the wiring plugs refitted to the correct injector?
Are the sealing washer things all fitted?
Is the fuel line refitted correctly?

I've never cleaned modern petrol injectors. They're away from the combustion chamber and have petrol running through them which acts as a cleaning agent and is filtered from the tank.

Yes everythings fitted spot on

I didnt remove the fuel rail, left were is, just pulled the injectors out of it then refitted

It operates on impact, and disables some functions. Fuel pump being one of the I presume.

Probably at the front on the car/in the engine bay somewhere.

It operates on impact, and disables some functions. Fuel pump being one of the I presume.

Probably at the front on the car/in the engine bay somewhere.

Ah, dont think theres any point checking that then

Last night i could hear what sounded like the fuel pump give a short buzz sound each time i turned the ignition on

As i said in an earlier post, when i removed the injectors again last night the fuel rail was full of petrol so im assuming theres no problem from the pump to the rail

Theres only the injectors after the rail, so im thinking ive damaged them somehow when cleaning..

Or they need 'coding' as someone mentioned, i dont know anything about that but i would have though its not needed as they are the original injectors for the car

Does the fact that they were out of the car for a long period of time matter at all? Since taking them out last night theyve been on the bench in the garage

Im gonna put them in the rail tonight, hold the rail up in the air with some rags underneath and have some push the start button few times to see if they spray fuel out as they should...

Rather than pressing the start try switching the ignition on and off, that buzz is the fuel pump pumping the system up to pressure.

Is it the standard fuel rail? You've not modified anything? I don't know this system but I'm assuming its not possible to swap the feed and return by mistake?

Standard rail, no modifications

I havnt disconnected the rail / fuel lines at any point

I only pulled all 4 injectors out of the fuel rail

Ive just connected each injector up with my cleaning device again and fed some brake cleaner through

Each injector worked perfect, spray pattern look full and correct, injectors making the click sound each time the power is connected from the battery

Put em back in the car, pulled the main fuse out to reset everything

Still same, wont start, no attempt to Fire, just turns over..

Anyone know were this Inertia safety trip switch is located, is it a button that can be manually switched back on if its gone off?

*** ive found the inertia switch behind the small plasti panel that pulls of the drivers side of the dash near the steering wheel.

How do i know if its been activated or not, to look at the button looks fully out..

Thx

Ok, so being the d*** that i am i decided to press the inertia safety switch

It clicked when i pressed it in and looked to sink inwards a little, car still wont start

Now i cant see how to turn the safety inertia switch back to 'off' nothing happens when i press it again, no Click sound and the button still looks like its sank inwards a little..

Anyone know how to switch it back to being 'off'??

Back