• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Newbie tuning advice please

Hi guys,

I am pretty new to the Honda scene and would really like some honest non-biased advice please.

I have always had Jap cars such as Toyota Supra Twin Turbo, R33 Skyline and recently sold a 350bhp stunning STI with only 30 thousand miles on the clock.

I have always loved Honda’s and particularly the Type R’s. I did once drive an EP3 and although I enjoyed it I do remember feeling a little underwhelmed probably due to the fact I had an STI at the time which is obviously boosted.

I am looking at purchasing a stunning FN2 with only 19000 miles on the clock to replace my STI as a weekend fun car. I am considering boosting the car with either a Supercharger or Turbo from TDI North.

However, I have a few choices to make. I spoke with some tuners and they all tell me the standard engine is good for 400BHP. However, is this going to be reliable at this power. I have always worried about tuning any car to its maximum power capability and would actually rather Forge the engine and have peace of mind it will cope with the power comfortably.

My options would be (Bearing in mind its for road not Track use)

1) A Sport Rotrex Supercharger (Non intercooled) which keeps pretty much everything standard and gives you approx. 300BHP.

2) A Supersports Supercharger (Intercooled) which gives approx. 350BHP I believe.

3) A TDI North Turbo Conversion which will give you approx. 350-400BHP on standard internals.

I have been told the Turbo conversion is the way to go. However, I would love some feedback on the comparisons if anybody knows in terms of real world performance. I have been told the Supercharger route can create a lot of heat been constantly on boost, which is worrying for long term reliability.

I would obviously require a Wavetrac LSD and some brake upgrades to allow me to get the power down. My main concern is after coming from a 4wd STI which puts the power down very well, even with an LSD will the FN2 be able to put the power down in the real world on the road? I don’t mind a bit of drama but if it simply cannot put the power to the road it seems a bit pointless. Would you guys recommend just a Sport Supercharger which makes around 300BHP on the road?

Any advice on the FN2 both Supercharged VS Turbo would be appreciated and also what they are like in the real world on the road in terms of putting the power down.

Also, any honest advice regarding reliability after boosting would be appreciated. I would rather Forge the engine if I had my way, but I believe its approx. 8K to do this so would rather avoid but not if the car is going to blow up or be unreliable. I am a sensible mature owner who maintains his cars very well which will help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the Rotrex Sport kit on my first FN2 back in 2011. I then had it taken off after a couple of months as I didn't get on with it.

I'm pretty sure the whole Saga is in my build thread here: https://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?65480-Loxy-s-Silver-FN2-GT

I has some issues with clamps and brackets and ended up with an overwhelming sense of doom with it. Since I had mine many people have had shaft failure in the charger itself, however apparently Rotrex have modified the charger and it is less likely to fail now.

I went a bit OTT on the NA side of things after that until I realised the absolute pit of money I'd sunk into it and bought a 2011 WRX STi saloon instead.

Tom turbo'd his EP3, similar process to the FN2 albeit they have a bit more room for the turbo manifold.

His thread is here: https://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/...p-300ftlb-12Psi.-Updated-Spec-List-Page-31...

I had the Rotrex Sport kit on my first FN2 back in 2011. I then had it taken off after a couple of months as I didn't get on with it.

I'm pretty sure the whole Saga is in my build thread here: https://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?65480-Loxy-s-Silver-FN2-GT

I has some issues with clamps and brackets and ended up with an overwhelming sense of doom with it. Since I had mine many people have had shaft failure in the charger itself, however apparently Rotrex have modified the charger and it is less likely to fail now.

I went a bit OTT on the NA side of things after that until I realised the absolute pit of money I'd sunk into it and bought a 2011 WRX STi saloon instead.

Tom turbo'd his EP3, similar process to the FN2 albeit they have a bit more room for the turbo manifold.

His thread is here: https://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/...p-300ftlb-12Psi.-Updated-Spec-List-Page-31...

Hi buddy thanks for your reply?

This is really my concern as i have sold my STI and was hoping to get enough power from the Type R to make it a fun weekend car. But only if it is reliable and usable. In standard form they just dont feel quick enough compared to what i am used to. You have gone to an STI!! I have just sold a pristine one. Gutted.

It puts me off when i hear horror stories. I am also concerned about putting the power down. How was yours, did you have an LSD?

Welcome :smt006

An exciting project indeed which I'm sure you'll make work as it sounds like you're very capable of looking after your cars :smt023

I personally would go for the 300bhp option...more than enough for a road car :p

Welcome :smt006

An exciting project indeed which I'm sure you'll make work as it sounds like you're very capable of looking after your cars :smt023

I personally would go for the 300bhp option...more than enough for a road car :p

Thank you very much buddy, much appreciated.

I must admit i am excited but worried at the same time.

I look after my cars a lot. My STI was stunning and Mint with 30k miles.

But i love Honda Type R's. I have been in a few and love what they stand for and how they drive, but after driving many boosted cars i found them a little slow. But after seeing a few boosted i thought they look great fun.

My only concern is reliability and usable power. I would ideally like to forge the engine but at 8k its very pricey.

We've been lucky enough to own a couple of examples of the FN2 from new :D

One a 58 plate Nighthawk Black GT & one a 60 plate Mugen 200....the latter having the LSD :cool:

Great,well equipped,ultra reliable daily drivers =D>

The only critcisms I had were the brakes weren't very strong & until Vtec engaged it was pretty slow :lol:

A bit more power (an extra 100 bhp would be perfect) & some much needed torque would make it a great car :smt023

Depending on your budget the FK2 would be a great choice with no modding needed for road use IMO :p

Already turbo'd,Brembo Big Brake Kit as standard & more tech than the FN2 :D

I've had an FK2 & now have an FK8...wouldn't go back to NA any time soon :whistle

You can pick up an FK2 for around 16k now :D

Surely the purchase of a decent FN2,supercharger or turbo,LSD,BBK,tuning,etc, would equal that ?

& that's before you start spending ££££££ on forged internals :p

At the end of the day you'd have a newer car with more tech & a reliable 306 bhp :cool:

I saw this outside TDI North last week when I got my FN2 mapped. It's bonkers. But what a money pit, I'd just get the latest Civic than spend all that money modding it, but I guess it's horses for courses, the fun is in the modding for some people and fair play to them.

TDIN said to me, that they could comfortably get 350bhp from turbo charged Civic FN2 and they're quite reliable. But I would def get LSD, uprated clutch/light weight flywheel. I'm planning those for mine as a track donkey which is currently 220bhp but will probably be c235-240 at some stage. I've also had BC coils and bushes, with the camber and geo sorted, it handles very well but def feels like it could do with some more power now, but I wouldn't spend the cash on a turbo charger, I'd just get something else.

And also baffled sump and oil pump upgrade if you're planning any track work, the only thing that can kill a VTEC is oil surge and starvation from g-force on faster tracks like Silverstone, so I'm told.

He just did it because he could. God knows what it cost but IMO it's undriveable - hits rev limiter every time he touches the throttle.

You can pick up an FK2 for around 16k now :D

Surely the purchase of a decent FN2,supercharger or turbo,LSD,BBK,tuning,etc, would equal that ?

& that's before you start spending ££££££ on forged internals :p

At the end of the day you'd have a newer car with more tech & a reliable 306 bhp :cool:

I have looked at these, but love the sound and character of the old EP3 and FN2 which is why i considered boosting one.

I had both the rotrex intercooler supercharger, and a TDi North turbo kit. If you are worried about being bored in a N/A FN2, you will get bored with a SC eventually.

In my honest opinion go turbo, it's just better.

I had both the rotrex intercooler supercharger, and a TDi North turbo kit. If you are worried about being bored in a N/A FN2, you will get bored with a SC eventually.

In my honest opinion go turbo, it's just better.

Can I ask for you running with stock internals? How was the reliability?

Can I ask for you running with stock internals? How was the reliability?

I was running 460bhp+ and 310ftlb torque on completely stock internals, never had an issue. I also had a wavetrac LSD and Stage 4 Competition Clutch. The car took a battering at Santa Pod regularly, as well as being my daily for a while also. Like I said, I never had any issues with the motor and box.

I was running 460bhp+ and 310ftlb torque on completely stock internals, never had an issue. I also had a wavetrac LSD and Stage 4 Competition Clutch. The car took a battering at Santa Pod regularly, as well as being my daily for a while also. Like I said, I never had any issues with the motor and box.

Wow 460bhp!!!

I can't believe the standard motor took that. Did you drive it hard a lot and how many miles did you do with the turbo?

I have been told the engines are ok up to just under 400bhp but after watching a car on YouTube running at 400bhp with a turbo literally blow a hand sized hold with a rod through the block it made me very very nervous indeed.

Some recommend the turbo and some the Rotrex Supercharger
The turbo will be quicker but how do they compare on the road. Is the supercharger a lot slower?

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the comments prior about getting an FK. I did all the supporting mods to my FN so that I could boost (big brake kit, LSD, suspension tuning) but I just wasn’t sure in the end it was worth the cost to boost it. For peace of mind I went to the FK8 knowing everything about the car is set up to run 320 bhp from the go.

Between SC and turbo options though, from what I’ve read the turbocharger is the best option. More reliable and easier to customise the power delivery. Putting the power down is greatly helped by mapping the car with different boost levels by gear.
Probably worth a conversation with TDI.

Back