• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Newbie tuning advice please

It's not the BHP that will kill a motor, it's the torque. Mine was torque limited to just over 300ftlb. Ben at TDi North was running over 500bhp in his k-swapped EG.

There are a couple of reasons I recommend turbo over SC, but the main reason is power delivery. A supercharger delivers power via a pulley from the motor and is essentially regulated by engine speed, so basically the more revs = more power, but you are only reaching peak power output at the moment you change gear, so really the delivery of the power feels very similar to an N/A motor, only it's delivered a bit quicker. This is what made me swap to a turbo, as the car had to be thrashed to get the most out of it. With the turbo, it's not regulated by the motor, and it's delivered in one big lump, so you are getting more power earlier in the rev range, and it kicks you back into your seat. Have a read through my build thread, and there's some tuning graphs from TDi, with the supercharger you get a nice diagonal line, with the turbo it's almost vertical.

Another reason I would recommend the turbo is the adaptability. A supercharger is fit and forget, it can't be adapted, unless you want to change pulleys and belts. Whereas with a turbo, you can run boost by gear to minimise wheel spin, you can run low and high boost by flicking a switch on the dashboard, so you can run the car conservatively around town in low boost, and when you reach countryside roads you can flick a switch to high boost for ***** and giggles.

The turbo kit that I had made was good for 800bhp as it was intended on being a dedicated drag racer, but I never got the engine completed.

I did around 12,000 miles as a daily, before I took it off the road, but the motor and box were running fine when I did.

I spoke to Tdi North this week, they have several K20 Engines they've already put the forged internals in ready for turbo charging, but they ain't cheap. :D

No doubt be absolutely solid and reliable though.

Already watched it. Lol

Bit too much i would be happy with 350-400bhp on the road. But its right at the point of forge or not forge and it costs 8k to do it.

This is what I am looking for Stage 2 400-440bhp with minimal mods, keep the car as standard as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not the BHP that will kill a motor, it's the torque. Mine was torque limited to just over 300ftlb. Ben at TDi North was running over 500bhp in his k-swapped EG.

There are a couple of reasons I recommend turbo over SC, but the main reason is power delivery. A supercharger delivers power via a pulley from the motor and is essentially regulated by engine speed, so basically the more revs = more power, but you are only reaching peak power output at the moment you change gear, so really the delivery of the power feels very similar to an N/A motor, only it's delivered a bit quicker. This is what made me swap to a turbo, as the car had to be thrashed to get the most out of it. With the turbo, it's not regulated by the motor, and it's delivered in one big lump, so you are getting more power earlier in the rev range, and it kicks you back into your seat. Have a read through my build thread, and there's some tuning graphs from TDi, with the supercharger you get a nice diagonal line, with the turbo it's almost vertical.

Another reason I would recommend the turbo is the adaptability. A supercharger is fit and forget, it can't be adapted, unless you want to change pulleys and belts. Whereas with a turbo, you can run boost by gear to minimise wheel spin, you can run low and high boost by flicking a switch on the dashboard, so you can run the car conservatively around town in low boost, and when you reach countryside roads you can flick a switch to high boost for ***** and giggles.

The turbo kit that I had made was good for 800bhp as it was intended on being a dedicated drag racer, but I never got the engine completed.

I did around 12,000 miles as a daily, before I took it off the road, but the motor and box were running fine when I did.

Do you still have the Type R. Wow 12000 miles and no issues, that's impressive.

My dilemma is very similar to many on here I think. Deciding if it is worth spending the money doing a turbo conversion. Or is it better to just buy an FK2 or FK8? The only thing I like about the FN2 turbo is the sound it still sounds amazing. However, watching reviews etc it appears that the FK2 and FK8 put the power down much better.?

Was yours able to put the power down or did it spin all the time?

Do you still have the Type R. Wow 12000 miles and no issues, that's impressive.

My dilemma is very similar to many on here I think. Deciding if it is worth spending the money doing a turbo conversion. Or is it better to just buy an FK2 or FK8? The only thing I like about the FN2 turbo is the sound it still sounds amazing. However, watching reviews etc it appears that the FK2 and FK8 put the power down much better.?

Was yours able to put the power down or did it spin all the time?

I have the shell, motor and gearbox. Plans were to put them in a EG or EK.

The dilemma is yours, personally what I really loved about my EP3 was it was a complete sleeper, it was only looking at it from the front you would have known it was different from a standard EP3. The fun I had destroying pretty much everything that had a go was priceless.

I was running boost by gear on a K-Pro3 Ecu, so each gear had different amounts of turbo dialed in to ensure I got the power down from a standing start. Although joining a wet motorway it would spin the wheels in 3rd and 4th gears for fun.

I have the shell, motor and gearbox. Plans were to put them in a EG or EK.

The dilemma is yours, personally what I really loved about my EP3 was it was a complete sleeper, it was only looking at it from the front you would have known it was different from a standard EP3. The fun I had destroying pretty much everything that had a go was priceless.

I was running boost by gear on a K-Pro3 Ecu, so each gear had different amounts of turbo dialed in to ensure I got the power down from a standing start. Although joining a wet motorway it would spin the wheels in 3rd and 4th gears for fun.

You had an EP3 not an FN2?

Sounds like a lot of fun!!

Seen a nice supercharged EP3 on officially gassed YouTube channel. It's got a Jackson's Supercharger on it running approx 300bhp with a Today exhaust. I must admit that sounds amazing and it seems the perfect power and power delivery for the car.

The turbo FN2 on the chanel seems absolutely Manic.!!

Wow do you know how much it is to Forge a K20 .

He didn't give me an exact price because he knew I was after a replacement engine in the modest £1k mark. But think you're looking at £7-8k, then the turbo charging and labour on top. Fitting an engine shouldn't be more than 1.5 days work, but the turbo charging IDK.

You'd be in very safe hands with TDI-North though, give Jamie a call there. Well, email him and ask him to call you, they never answer the phone :D

Back