• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Valve Spring Issue?

Hi guys

When completing my valve clearances, I noticed one of the springs looked different to the others. It looks as if the spring has snapped at the bottom. Am I right in assuming this is the case or does the end of the spring usually end like this?

HLFuQc3.jpg

I deal with springs on various occasions in safety valves. Usually any compression spring ends with the pitch of the coil being ground to zero, sqaured and ground. This is to give even compression of the spring on the area its seating and even compression upwards through its axis. Couldnt say if the spring is wrong or right, but if its slightly different to the others may be. I have found in my experience that if a compression spring is missing the tail end as I like to call it this can effect its axis. Thus the spring ether bowing to the left or right from upward force from the compression ofthe spring. Due to this being only a small spring it might have no effect and be totally fine. Im sure somebody more tecnical minded with engines will be along to help you. Like I said I deal in safety valves and the springs are pretty big compared to these. It dosent seem to off effected you all this time and only just noticing it now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back