• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 I broke my FN2 today :(

Been having trouble getting into 3rd/4th on downshift when hot and under load.

Today something went quite wrong when I put it into 3rd.

https://vimeo.com/user92980260/review/443058104/d56cf04b70

After I got towed back to paddock it spilled all the engine oil out. Starter motor could not turn engine over.

Have no idea how many things broke, but I think we can all agree, it probably wont' be cheap. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Over revs are more common than you'd like to think, but given that it is spilling oil you've done a proper job.

Replacement engine with a bit of warranty would be my choice. You'll be picking through the old one for months/years with stuff that crops up.

Depending on your budget and plans, forged/high revving/high compression pistons with matching cams. Now is the perfect opportunity to sink the value of the car and then some back into it. :lol:

Over revs are more common than you'd like to think, but given that it is spilling oil you've done a proper job.

Replacement engine with a bit of warranty would be my choice. You'll be picking through the old one for months/years with stuff that crops up.

Depending on your budget and plans, forged/high revving/high compression pistons with matching cams. Now is the perfect opportunity to sink the value of the car and then some back into it. :lol:

Thanks for response, Loxy.

Think it selected wrong gear, been struggling with 3/4th and was about to get it booked in for clutch and great box overhaul.

Here is same section the lap before, no problem, done many laps dropping it into 3rd at that point, no problem: https://youtu.be/wwVcErRsmvI

The AA man also suggested it might have selected second, I don't know enough about how the gearbox works to understand how that might have happened but the box has been causing me issues since I got it. Would make sense if you think over revving caused it

Its a the tuners now, so will get their diagnosis soon.

I've started to look into K24/K20 engine potentially or just a refurbed/used one.

Not sure budgets allow for forced induction. Although, probably would have if I hadn't had to buy a new engine :D

Def want a new clutch, LSD and Baffle in the sump.

Looking at the speedo you were doing 78ish when it went in gear and 3rd would go to about 80/85ish from memory, so it is possible you did just select 2nd. Not sure about the box and selectors how it would be possible but never say never.

Do the turbos go up in value?

Decent turbo kits are about £5k fitted and mapped. Plus the cost of sourcing a new engine, you'll be into big money.

K24 frank (k24 bottom end and K20 head) are popular and will give you about 280/300bhp and 200+ftlb with the right supporting mods and might be the cheaper option.

Looking at the speedo you were doing 78ish when it went in gear and 3rd would go to about 80/85ish from memory, so it is possible you did just select 2nd. Not sure about the box and selectors how it would be possible but never say never.

Decent turbo kits are about £5k fitted and mapped. Plus the cost of sourcing a new engine, you'll be into big money.

K24 frank (k24 bottom end and K20 head) are popular and will give you about 280/300bhp and 200+ftlb with the right supporting mods and might be the cheaper option.

I def pushed the stick forwards into 3rd but something wasn't right as I could hear some knocking noises from the gearbox, I've got Donnington down, and I'm consistent. I didn't do anything different than usual. I was quick around there, car was very competitive, considering what little works been carried out. Plenty of racing Minis there, stripped out, roll cage, fully lowered and they were only a little bit faster than me. All water under bridge now, it's f***ed one way or another. :D

Where would you source an engine with warranty from?

Not disputing it bud!

The donor engine is the difficult part. Finding one that had decent mileage, hasn't been over revved or starved of oil etc. Depending who your tuner is, I'd personally go through them if possible and get them to strip and inspect the engine before it goes in.

If you're doing K24 you'd like to think they are likely to have had a gentler life but you never know.

Might be easier to find another FN2 and swap over any mods etc and sell the dead one for parts/scrap?

Not disputing it bud!

The donor engine is the difficult part. Finding one that had decent mileage, hasn't been over revved or starved of oil etc. Depending who your tuner is, I'd personally go through them if possible and get them to strip and inspect the engine before it goes in.

If you're doing K24 you'd like to think they are likely to have had a gentler life but you never know.

Sorry, was feeling a bit sensitive about it yesterday :D

Might be easier to find another FN2 and swap over any mods etc and sell the dead one for parts/scrap?

I've been thinking about that, prices seem to have been gradually increasing during Lockdown, they're more for less than when I bought this in June. And for low mileage ones, they're asking top money.

Problem for me and breaking is, a) I don't have any tools and b) I don't have any land/storage, I live in an apartment block with one parking space. So its not really very viable.

Although I would probably would break even financially (give or take) that way in terms of the actual car purchase.

Total ball ache, of all the things I was expecting might go wrong with this car, the engine was not one of them.

Screenshot-2020-07-22-at-20-52-26.png

Anyone know what this engine is with 237 BHP? Says 2010 and K20Z4?

Local Honda dealer recommended these guys who remanufacture engines, suspect they won't be cheap but they come with a 12 month unlimited warranty (not once I modify it, but does go to show the quality) :D

https://ivorsearle.co.uk/Ecat?url=eCat/VehicleSearch/Honda/K20Z4/Petrol/2.0/Engine

They don't stock any K20 engines anymore, too old, worth a try but seems they only run with current engines. Suspect they'd have been very expensive anyway.

Piston came out of the bottom of engine and smashed the sump. Gear box is toast as well. Proper job as Loxy put it. :D

Currently trying to source a used engine and gearbox.

They don't stock any K20 engines anymore, too old, worth a try but seems they only run with current engines. Suspect they'd have been very expensive anyway.

Piston came out of the bottom of engine and smashed the sump. Gear box is toast as well. Proper job as Loxy put it. :D

Currently trying to source a used engine and gearbox.

I thought k20 engines were pretty much bullet proof if they are serviced regularly and oil kept near full? Especially if they are pretty much standard? Did you just have bad luck?

This has recently been listed on eBay, engine and gearbox available still. You might get a good deal for both combined ;)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CI...882547?hash=item5dad071af3:g:FkgAAOSw7z9fGEf2

I thought k20 engines were pretty much bullet proof if they are serviced regularly and oil kept near full? Especially if they are pretty much standard? Did you just have bad luck?

This has recently been listed on eBay, engine and gearbox available still. You might get a good deal for both combined ;)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CI...882547?hash=item5dad071af3:g:FkgAAOSw7z9fGEf2

They are, it's really the gearbox that went and took the engine with it.

Oil starvation due to g-force and over-revving are the weak points of these (and any other) engines.

I think it selected 1st instead of third, there was a clunk as I got it into 3rd and the rest is history, including the engine.

Here is a pic of the piston trying to burst through the bottom. :D

IMG-5664.jpg

Don't you mean I selected 1st?

Close gate so quite possible in the heat of battle.

Nope. The selector had been playing up for a while, was struggling to get it into third and fourth, I assumed it was a synchro issue developing initially and was planning to take it in to get it fixed after this track day.

This was the lap before: https://vimeo.com/user92980260/review/443056263/5a64f8e562

And on the fateful lap, I really struggled to get it in pushing it directly forwards from 4th, you would have to push left and up to get it into fourth deliberately, that did not happen. I was doing 90 mph down the hill towards old hairpin, going around there at that speed without gear would be straight off into the gravel trap for sure. So I forced it forwards and let out the clutch, but it made a strange clunking noise when I finally got it in.

I spoke to TDI about it, they said it sounded like the selector broke it could quite easily go into first instead of third even though I was pushing the leveller into the third position. The tuner my car is with now changing engine said same thing, as did the AA.

Back