• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Possible over heating issues

Noticed slight misting on the bottom left hand side of the windscreen to the left of the middle heating vent on my way home from work. Fan was on setting 1 and 17 degress. Temperature gauge was fine. When got home looked under the car and there was dripping water in a little pool around the middle area around 1/2 metre from the front just after the front wheels. I have noticed a slight knocking in the driver's seat area underneath. Don't know if this is a reason for the leakage. The pooling was mentioned sat just gone after visiting family. Car been fine till now, can't check bottle because it's in the worst place known to man. Checked radiator, full, but at the bottom of the window on passenger side it looks oily in a small area.

Sent from my LG-M700 using Tapatalk

Don't really know, it's only just happened on my way home, looked underneath and it dripping away more than I would like really. From the oily marks on the window could that be from the coolant. When my last car started doing this it was the heater matrix, then it decided to dump all the water in the passenger side footwell.

Sent from my LG-M700 using Tapatalk

I had the belt change a week ago, could this disturb the water pump and cause it to leak. Would this cause the possible overheating issue, does this circulate the water around the system to keep the engine cool. If it's just draining slightly through the water pump till it eventually all drains out.

I take it you mean the aux belt? They would have been pretty cack handed to break the waterpump but it's possible I suppose. Drive it next time with the air con off and my guess is you won't have a puddle this time.

Water mark

Just been out and taken photo of pool of water. I hit the undercarriage and spilled some of the water on to my fingers. Can’t smell coolant in the water and fingers not sticky after drying. If it’s not from the engine why is my window inside have oil residue.

Attachments

• 3560525B-79BD-4F0C-AD6B-249D85467B18.jpeg
    3560525B-79BD-4F0C-AD6B-249D85467B18.jpeg
    29.9 KB · Views: 19
  • E14FDA92-886F-4264-AAE9-CC28F2F5860B.jpeg
    E14FDA92-886F-4264-AAE9-CC28F2F5860B.jpeg
    15.4 KB · Views: 18
Don’t have the a/c on. It’s always off, just have the fan blowing, still doesn’t explain the oily substance on the window.

It's a big puddle. It's a bit of a guess but if you take out the pollen filter maybe you will see some residue if it is the heater matrix.

It's a big puddle. It's a bit of a guess but if you take out the pollen filter maybe you will see some residue if it is the heater matrix.
Pollen filter dry as a bone, needs changing as it’s slightly black. Going to try and get it in garage tomorrow and see what the hell is happening.

You sure it's not just water condensing on the aircon unit & dripping down ?

Well had my car looked over, no possible issues, like you mentioned, mech said possible air con, just that I noticed when parked up, change pollen filter no misting on the window since. He said you would be suprised with the amount of water that can drip off.

Well still getting slight condensation build up at the bottom of my drivers window when on the road, been looked at, change pollen filter, so god knows...

Have you cleaned out the channel at each side of the screen where the water drains off the screen and runs down inside the wing and out to floor?

Sometimes these get full of crud and the water can't drain properly allowing some inside the car which explains your condensation.

Have you cleaned out the channel at each side of the screen where the water drains off the screen and runs down inside the wing and out to floor?

Sometimes these get full of crud and the water can't drain properly allowing some inside the car which explains your condensation.

Havent had chance to look at that yet, but will this weekend. I think I may have discovered how its condensating ..my theroy. The condensation is appearing on the outside window not inside. The heat generated from the engine is traveling/transfeing up under the bonnet, under the plastic trim on the drivers side where the windscreen wiper is fitted through. I put my hand in the region where the wiper is fitted through the plastic trim and it felt like a warm breeze. Now I think the drivers windscreen wiper is capturing the warm air and channeling up under the wiper arm up to the blade. Then it has no where else to channel and expels out onto the window which condensates due to the cold window. Just happens on occasions, not all the time...any idea how to stop it and why heat is travelling up to that purticular spot from the engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the actual issue is you have condensation on the outside of the window, sometimes, but not all the time? Sounds like a write off to me. For the love of God stop over worrying.

Try taking all the windscreen scuttle off and cleaning it up.
Check the condition of the foam that goes between it and the screen, maybe put some new stuff on.
then like nobby says, stopping stressing - it's on the outside ffs.

Back