• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Tyres...help a noob out....FK8

Had my FK8 for about a year now and loving it. Got a dreaded slow puncture on my existing Continentals. Looking to replace it and though that'll be easy. Well apparently not, found so many forum posts about getting the right replacement and its a really specific Continental part number you need. Then am reading that people dont really rate them from a wear point of view and maybe the P 4s are better. But then I got confused becuase of the lip being discussed on the Contis. And then to make it worse am not sure if it's a rubbish idea to have one non matching tyre? (keep in mind im typically the person that takes their car to the garage to have screen wash put in).

So basically am confused - can anyone demistify all of this?

Oh and hello by the way, will get some pics and stuff up!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you search the forum there is another thread on this topic relatively recently.

Personally I cheaped out, just a little, and replaced with bridgestone Potenza s001s. Doing me just fine for daily use after 4500 miles.

A lot of people seem to go with PS4Ss but you might want to check out the Goodyear F1 Eagle Aysemmetric 5. If you check out reviews they're on par with contis and Michelins but have the edge on tyre wear to the Michelins. They're a chunk cheaper too so I'll be going with them next time I replace.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

I'd suggest having a go with 255/35/20 - cheaper, more rim protection both from potholes and kerbs, and improved ride comfort by some margin. They also correct the speedo somewhat, and remove axle tramp in the wet.

At OE pressures, there is a very slight reduction in steering directness, but it's practically indiscernable and has been perfectly good for road and some track practice - oodles of grip!

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

I'd suggest having a go with 255/35/20 - cheaper, more rim protection both from potholes and kerbs, and improved ride comfort by some margin. They also correct the speedo somewhat, and remove axle tramp in the wet.

At OE pressures, there is a very slight reduction in steering directness, but it's practically indiscernable and has been perfectly good for road and some track practice - oodles of grip!

What's the issue with the speedo?

No issue - just gets it closer to reality; if you compare to a GPS speed you'll find that it overreads by ~5mph at 70, with the increased size the overread is reduced to 1 - 2mph giving a more accurate representation.

This is interesting. I’d read on the US forums that the difference (something like 3%) was a negative thing. Didn’t realise it actually improved accuracy.
A 35 profile was going to my choice. Would replacing all 4 be a must or could you get away with the slight difference between front and back?

I’d rather go to a 19” wheel ideally but not cheap to stump up on new wheels AND tyres

I'd say do all four - I could forsee issues with both handling and VSA etc.

There is usually a Michelin offer for £100 off when you buy four, so only worked out to £600ish for me.

Further to that, dropping a wheel size seems a bit pointless now I've got the extra sidewall, and could be damaging to the torque steer properties unless offset is identical. - is the FK2 ET60?

Yes FK2 is et60. I was thinking about a new set of wheels, 1. Just because 2. Tyre choice (size and price), might rethink now!

The US guys do it a lot. I think provided you keep to within reasonable offset the difference to the handling is negligible. (No more than dropping a rim size and going bigger sidewall)

I think the closest I found in aftermarket fitment was ET53 but ET45 seems way more common.

Yeah I found some rotas that were et50 but 9j. Then bbs do a few at et 48 I think. I've actually been looking at some sparco assesto garas in 19 inch. Et 47. Alright they're on 1/3 focus St's in the UK but for £900 and made by OZ racing what more do you want haha.

I’ve just bought four Goodyear asymmetric 5’s in 255/30/20. Haven’t put too many miles on them yet but the speedo still reads 3mph low at 70 mph.

Yeah I found some rotas that were et50 but 9j. Then bbs do a few at et 48 I think. I've actually been looking at some sparco assesto garas in 19 inch. Et 47. Alright they're on 1/3 focus St's in the UK but for £900 and made by OZ racing what more do you want haha.

The team dynamics pro race are a good option in that price range too. They look pretty good on the team dynamics FK8 I think

I am looking at a couple of new front tyres, done quite a bit of research on a few sites:

Goodyear Eagle F1 seem No.1
Vredestein Ultrac & Michelin Pilot Super Sport @ No.2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm, perhaps a little outdated as the ps4s replace the PSS (and are generally in 1st, very closely followed by contis and goodyear ef1s)

Black circles have an offer on the Goodyears, buy 2 save £10, buy 4 save £25

Michelin have buy 2 save £40 too.

I’ve gone through another set of fronts, so about to buy some more, I have never driven on a Goodyear tyre that I liked but considering them but will keep Conti’s on the rear for the reasons below.

The Michelin’s lasted 7.9k mileage, Conti’s 3.5k mileage, if the osf hadn’t worn through to the inner edge, would have had another 1k on them. Clearly I use the car hard 90% fast a and B roads, so worth noting the comparison as a worse case scenario for road. I haven’t done a trackday in the car so can not compare.

The Michelin’s are a much better overall tyre, the only thing I would say is that I enjoy the Conti’s a little more on turn in as it is marginally sharper when on it and I like the playful nature when not fully heated up on the rear. Running the Michelin’s on the front and Conti’s on the rear with TC off you can get the rear end to step out a little but keep it on the throttle and it comes back in. What a fine chassis and suspension set up we have as standard, reminds me of the DC2 in that respect albeit you feel the weight of the FK8 under braking, cornering where as you didn’t get that in the Teg.

Back