• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Tyres...help a noob out....FK8

Anyone running 255/35 R20 Michelin PS4S tyres on their FK8??

I am - Have been for 7000 Miles, and I'm expecting another 10,000 hopefully.

I've done a tyre rotation today, and lowest measure on the fronts was ~4.7mm, so the rears (Now fronts) are around 5 - 6mm.

That's after heavy road driving and a car handling day (An entire afternoon of extreme high speed cornering; Cooks the tyres nicely :p )

jcWm72N.jpg

And that's how close you can get to a kerb :p - There's a bit of a lip, but the biggest gain is in the height increase, which seems to allow it to "bump off" a bit better; I've not kerbed any wheels or had any pothole damage since upsizing.

There's a litany of other benefits too; Speedo is more accurate, ride is better, etc etc

I have indeed :)

As many wings as possible to offend boring people ;)

On my wish list for the new year.

Intake, KTuber, Remap, Asbo Map & Head Unit next Saturday
3” Front to Rear Exhaust, Turbo Pipe & Upper Wing in the new year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info, ordered all 4 in this size.
Gone for the Michelin PS4S 255/35/20.

Just to be clear then, people are going for 255/35, not 255/30? I'm about to have to splash out on a new set and wondered why the 35 profile over the 30? Is it just cost? I see they are about £40 per corner cheaper.

Love the idea of slightly more wheel protection. A tiny bit less directness on turn in doesn't bother me too much, i just want to be sure there's no issue with rubbing etc.

Yes - I am on 255/35/20 - Both for the extra protection and saving. absolutely zero rub; I drove over Hardknott pass with these tyres - All angles of lock and up to 30% gradient all at once, with zero rub - It's about as close to an OEM test routine as you'll get! Similarly, Even if the shocks bottom out you won't contact the arch - Under high load cornering (90mph+ "full load" high speed bends with surface imperfections), Jumps over humback bridges and crests on the yorkshire dales (With all four wheels off the ground), Loading to rated capacity (~300KG of passengers!) and taking B roads hard - There has never been a rub.

On 255/30 You only gain 0.1" of sidewall BTW!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes - I am on 255/35/20 - Both for the extra protection and saving. absolutely zero rub; I drove over Hardknott pass with these tyres - All angles of lock and up to 30% gradient all at once, with zero rub - It's about as close to an OEM test routine as you'll get! Similarly, Even if the shocks bottom out you won't contact the arch - Under high load cornering (90mph+ "full load" high speed bends with surface imperfections), Jumps over humback bridges and crests on the yorkshire dales (With all four wheels off the ground), Loading to rated capacity (~300KG of passengers!) and taking B roads hard - There has never been a rub.

On 255/30 You only gain 0.1" of sidewall BTW!

Thanks for this. Really helpful. 35's it is then!! And £160 in my pocket!

I am - Have been for 7000 Miles, and I'm expecting another 10,000 hopefully.

I've done a tyre rotation today, and lowest measure on the fronts was ~4.7mm, so the rears (Now fronts) are around 5 - 6mm.

That's after heavy road driving and a car handling day (An entire afternoon of extreme high speed cornering; Cooks the tyres nicely :p )

jcWm72N.jpg

And that's how close you can get to a kerb :p - There's a bit of a lip, but the biggest gain is in the height increase, which seems to allow it to "bump off" a bit better; I've not kerbed any wheels or had any pothole damage since upsizing.

There's a litany of other benefits too; Speedo is more accurate, ride is better, etc etc

This picture is giving me anxiety.

Soooo, is the general consensus that the 35 profile tyre is generally considered the way to go? Is there a downside to fitting these?

I'll be shortly needing 2 new fronts after 11k which isn't too bad I dont think, but was thinking about replacing all 4 with the 35's. With it being PCP I wonder if they would expect 30's to be re-fitted if/when I come to hand it back? :confused:

Soooo, is the general consensus that the 35 profile tyre is generally considered the way to go? Is there a downside to fitting these?

I'll be shortly needing 2 new fronts after 11k which isn't too bad I dont think, but was thinking about replacing all 4 with the 35's. With it being PCP I wonder if they would expect 30's to be re-fitted if/when I come to hand it back? :confused:

when are you potentially handing it back?

If they were that difficult about tyre size for return, you can get 245/30/20 linglings for about £40 a curve XD

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Actually thinking about it 1) I don't think the average dealer would have a clue what the OEM profile is and 2) surely as consumables you can put what you want on it within reason

Yeah you're probably right, probably just overthinking it :D

I've just had 4 255/35/20's fitted and i have to say after a few days i don't regret it one bit. Absolutely no rubbing, car running very well and i even prefer the look on the tyres. They look far less stretched on.

Probably a placebo effect due to the Conti's being pretty worn but i swear the car actually feels more 'pointy' on the new Michelins. I got just under 10k miles off the set with a bit of rotating and according to the tyre fitter 'got my money's worth!'. Oh, and now the speedo only overreads by around 2mph (based on a couple of GPS comparisons).

I agree with the point that the dealer wouldn't have a scooby about the tyre size. They would see Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and just tick the box.

You won’t have an issue, I have never handed a PCP car back with the same size tyres as it came with bar once. I would like to find one garage that even checks the car for anything other than CAP standard for the valuation to add into your next deal.

Only fine you will get is if you hand the car back without a new one based on your agreed mileage.

For those of you that have changed to 255/35/20 ... what tyre pressure are you running front and rear?

Back