• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Baffled sump, worth the investment?

Have you ever been round the 'ring?

Yes, went last year. And before that in 2011, but only managed half a lap before being caught up in an accident the first time.

Last year did a full day in a BMW 340i M sport with road tyres.

I've been on a few track days in the FN2 but I'm still not planning to try and break in any records, just want to go and have a fun/safe trip.

I did want to put the track tyres on but given it's possible it rains and I probably won't have the sump, road tyres is probably the most sensible option.

Last time we went it absolutely ****ed it down all the way out. All the guys on Cup2's did not enjoy the drive out. :D

You're going to be far less likely pulling sustained high G in corners on the 'Ring unless you've been there loads and lapping it day in and day out. Somewhere like Spa and Pouhon would a different story! You'll be fine overfilling the oil if you can't find a sump on time. Can't you just get an insert?

Do clockwise motion do one for the fn2? Might be worth contacting them directly?

Seems a shame to drop the sump and not fit one really.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

You're going to be far less likely pulling sustained high G in corners on the 'Ring unless you've been there loads and lapping it day in and day out. Somewhere like Spa and Pouhon would a different story! You'll be fine overfilling the oil if you can't find a sump on time. Can't you just get an insert?

The clockwise one is supposed to the best one, which is drop in, but no one has it in stock and no one can confirm when they'll get them in again.

https://www.tegiwaimports.com/clockwise-motion-drop-in-sump-baffle-k-series-k20a-fd2-k20z-fn2.html

There is a weld in one, which they do have it in stock, but it's not recommended, because if the welds break or come loose, you'd not know until it's too late, drop in is the one to go for. Or a replacement sump from Spoon or Toda.

https://www.tegiwaimports.com/tegiwa-oil-sump-baffle-kit-honda-civic-fn2-k20z.html

I can put the FD2 oil pump and balance shaft delete in whilst the engine is out and put the drop in baffle in at a later date. You don't need the engine out to drop in the baffle, just drain oil and take sump off.

Obviously I'd rather not, because my tuner is 3 hours drive from my house and it's the third time I'll be taking my car there. But it is what it is, not much I can do if I cannot find the parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do clockwise motion do one for the fn2? Might be worth contacting them directly?

Seems a shame to drop the sump and not fit one really.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Hi Norf, yeah, tried to get hold of Clockwise, their VM is full and no response to emails, but that is who Tegiwa get their supplies from.

I've got one other tuner (TGM) who are trying to source one, they'll find out tomorrow if they can get.

Agreed, would definitely be a shame not to get it fitted whilst all the other work is being carried out. Been without a car for a month now, massive pain the rear.

Quite a bit more than I had accounted for, I'm already spending about £2k more than I'd originally planned, got carried away. :D

I've just found this one, it's made by M2 but it looks identical to the clockwise one.

https://www.funkypower.com/index.php/m2-motorsport-drop-in-sump-baffle-564.html

I wouldn't touch an M2 product with a very large barge pole, they can't even make proper seat mounts so there's no way in hell I'd trust anything by them that's on the inside of my engine!

Basically, none of the tuners keep these in stock, they get them (normally from Tegiwa) as and when they're required.

I’ve managed to speak to Ian @ Clockwise today.

He said that there is normally very little demand for FN2 baffles, last batch he made had several sitting in stock for two years or so. And they’re a slight pain to machine, meaning uses up quite lot of his time to machine, which is why he’s not made any recently. Where the Ep3 ones are a bit easier and have strong demand all the time.

He said he did make some for M2/buddy club at one stage, the ones on Funky power are actually out of stock and listed as in stock in error.

Clockwise will at some stage make some new FN2 baffles, but probably months away…...

The only alternatives seem to be the Toda/Spoon replacement sumps which are £550-650 and they’re 3-5 weeks to get delivered in the current lockdown backlog situation from Japan.

I’ve seen there was a Mugen one https://www.cplracing.co.uk/products/mugen-baffled-sump-honda-civic-type-r-fn2-2007-to-2011 no retailer seem to have this listed for sale.

Obviously these are a lot more than I’d budgeted for c£190 for dropin + labour.

But it looks like, unless one comes up used, it’s going to be very difficult to source a baffle for an FN2 anytime soon, whichever route you take.

At least Clockwise confirmed that over filling the K20 will be fine at the Ring, even with track tyres in his opinion.

Just FYI for anyone reading this in the future, he said not to use the FD2 oil dipstick, but to keep the FN2 one, which would ensure that it’s always got enough oil. And he designed them, so I take his word for it.

Back