• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Baffled sump, worth the investment?

Interested to hear from people who have tracked (or raced) FN2's with or without baffled sumps.

For those that don't know, high speed driving, particularly on track can cause oil surge/starvation in hard cornering and heavy braking zones, as oil shifts to one side of the sump under strong centrifugal forces and the pump struggles to pick up oil. A baffled sump prevents oil surges and I've been told the best solution is the insert rather than a welded sump, as per Tegiwa links below.

clockwise-motion-k-series-drop-in-sump-baffle-1-1.jpg

On an EP3 this is a fairly cheap job (so a no brainer really), around £400-500, but on an FN2, it's getting close to £1k with parts and labour, quite a big investment.

https://www.tegiwaimports.com/clockwise-motion-drop-in-sump-baffle-k-series-k20a-fd2-k20z-fn2.html

https://www.tegiwaimports.com/honda-fd2-oil-pump-civic-type-r-fn2-balancer-shaft-delete-kit.html

I'm inclined to just take the pain and get it done, if for nothing else than peace of mind, Very interested to hear real world experiences with or without.

Like I said in your other thread: worth it. I was told if you're going to track the FN2, especially with semi-slick or full slick tyres, it's a very good idea to have one. I did mine at the same time as an FD2 oil pump, cams and a new timing chain. It meant the labour was already covered as everything was already apart. I've done 10 track days and the car hasn't missed a beat. Give Grinspeed a call to see how much he charges to fit one...

Like I said in your other thread: worth it. I was told if you're going to track the FN2, especially with semi-slick or full slick tyres, it's a very good idea to have one. I did mine at the same time as an FD2 oil pump, cams and a new timing chain. It meant the labour was already covered as everything was already apart. I've done 10 track days and the car hasn't missed a beat. Give Grinspeed a call to see how much he charges to fit one...

Thanks Tommy what colour is yours, wouldn't be surprised if I have seen you, been FN2s at every TD I have been at.

The engine / gearbox will already be out of mine, but that withstanding its still £800-1k. And with all the other mods I am getting done, it's mounting up to over £4k.

I think it makes sense to get it done!

Out of interest, do you know how much Grinspeed charges per hour for labour?

I might get my FRS up re-done with him at some point, gets good rep.

I've always heard that it depends on the tyres etc. Semi slicks you will need one. Some people just overfill the oil by a litre. That is quite an investment to get it sorted in an fn2. Though don't you gain some power etc at the same time?

Tough call as you could get an engine for that money should the worst happen.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Yes, I use semi-slicks on track, probably should have mentioned that. :D

I didn't know about the power gain, any idea how much?

No idea how much but you remove some of the drag on the engine with the balance shafts. Read through Loxy's fn2 thread, I'm sure he mentions the delete at some point. That might give you some info.

If you are using semi slicks then you definitely need a baffle.

Thanks Tommy what colour is yours, wouldn't be surprised if I have seen you, been FN2s at every TD I have been at.

The engine / gearbox will already be out of mine, but that withstanding its still £800-1k. And with all the other mods I am getting done, it's mounting up to over £4k.

I think it makes sense to get it done!

Out of interest, do you know how much Grinspeed charges per hour for labour?

I might get my FRS up re-done with him at some point, gets good rep.

If you're on Facebook, send him a message: he's pretty good at getting in touch. Think there's a phone number on there too.

My FN is black with black wheels - there are lots about that look the same!

I'm definitely getting it done, thanks for input. Not worth skimping out with new engine being fitted, will only cost more in the long run. Hopefully getting all works done by end of next week.

I'm booked onto Bedford for Monday 24th to test new set up. If anyones booked onto that.

Not seen a black one yet, Tommy, but will keep an eye out for you for sure. Mines Red with white wheels.

Good decision - not worth the risk. While it's apart you should do the FD oil pump too...makes a big difference to the engine's characteristics.

Bedford isn't one I do - Cadwell, Oulton, Mallory if you're ever at one of those?

After all of that. Tegiwa have sold out and can't get stock :(

I've managed to get a baffle from Ebay used but I cannot get the FD2 pump shaft delete.

Would buy used if anyone has one to sell!? :D

I've ordered from from Japan, but could take 20 days to arrive and I'm booked on the ring, hotels / trip paid for 3rd Sept!

After all of that. Tegiwa have sold out and can't get stock :(

I've managed to get a baffle from Ebay used but I cannot get the FD2 pump shaft delete.

Would buy used if anyone has one to sell!? :D

I've ordered from from Japan, but could take 20 days to arrive and I'm booked on the ring, hotels / trip paid for 3rd Sept!
Have you tried all the main Honda garages? Tgm, area, tdi North, cpl, etc? See if they have it in stock?

That's a shame, it would be nice to have it all done in time.

Good luck with the others, I can't think of any others now, if any come to mind I'll post here.

Norv, they had it on Area website, never come across them before, it says it is in stock, so I have bough it, fingers crossed it's not being shipped from Japan.

Thanks for the suggestion, if they come through with 48 hours delivery, I owe you a pint! :D

Norv, they had it on Area website, never come across them before, it says it is in stock, so I have bough it, fingers crossed it's not being shipped from Japan.

Thanks for the suggestion, if they come through with 48 hours delivery, I owe you a pint! :D
I'd give them a call tomorrow just to check it was in stock etc. They're really well regarded and set up loads of the civic Cup cars.

Hopefully they have it in stock for you!

Area came through on the pump, arriving tomorrow.

I cannot, however, track down a baffled sump. The one I ordered from Ebay went missing in the post, would you believe!

Trying to decide whether to risk the ring in two weeks without a baffle and just using the Fd2 pump. Apart from a few high speed parts, it's more like road driving than track. I've read some people slightly over filling their oil by half a litre to compensate. And clearly lots of people go to the ring in standard EP3's and FN2s without having the engines break apart.

So frustrating to have the engine out and all the parts but one ready to go and not be able to buy it anywhere.

Back