• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Inner CV joint shot at 60k miles?

Hi, I just replaced my o\s front lower ball joint and since doing so a knocking has delevoped that becomes more intense under acceleration and increases in frequency with the wheel speed. My initial thoughts were that it's driveshaft related and looking into it further the symptoms seem consistent with inner CV joint failure. I'm just surpised that this has failed at 60k miles with Honda's reputation for reliability and the fact that my car is completely standard and had a relatively easy life. I've had it since it was 2 years old and It's never been on a race track and it's quite rare I drive it hard on the roads these days with all the traffic and speed restrictions around. It's also been known for other cars to overtake me on roads with long stretches of speed bumps as I drive really slowly over them and I go out of my way to avoid them whenever possible. It seems a coincidence that this has suddenly happened after replacing the ball joint on the same side. It has been suggested to me that I didn't push the drive shaft far enough into tripod housing when I fitted the ball joint but I've since popped the ball joint back out and pushed the driveshaft as far as it will go before encountering resistance and it hasn't made any difference.

I was just wondering if anybody has any thoughts or experience of this. I'm only an amatuer DIY mechancic with limited ability and experience but try to do fairly simple maintenance myself at home where my limited skill level and equipment will allow it. It's quite possible that I have caused this issue while doing the ball joint job although I replaced the ball joint on the other side last year without any issues. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Back