• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Fn2 brake discs, made flat or not??

My rear discs were knackered
Been binding / scraping for good while

Wheel spun freely though when jacked up although you could hear it catching / scraping a bit

Put some new discs on other day (just cheapo) ones

When turning the hub by hand after putting disc on I could clearly see that both discs are not 'flat' they seem to be made with a bit of a warp / wobble in them..

I'm thinking this is how they should be cause it's only that that will push the inner brake pad out the way when letting off the brake as the pad isn't fastened to the piston?

After putting both discs back on, calipers on, pumped brake few times / handbrake on and off a few times.
When I spin the wheels by hand they seem free enough, easy to spin multiple rotations, but the grinding / catching noise is still there,

Checked everythin, nothin is touching the disc other than the pads which are still near new and genuine Honda ones

Caliper is fine, sliders are free, pad shims are clean with bit of copper grease on, pads slide in them freely

Both rear caliper pistons look fine, wound back in very easily

Handbrake adjustment seems ok, I get 9 clicks on it, and when pulled up just one click you can feel just a little drag when turning the rear wheels by hand.

When I took it out for a drive I can hear a faint scraping noise coming from the rear, and they still make a decent scraping noise when braking too...

Ideas?

Thx

Whats more likely is that they don't seat fully until the wheelnuts are done up tight. You might be over worrying. Wait until they have bedded in and see what they are like.

Thanks, yeah that makes sense..

But with the wheel on and fastened up tight, when spinning the wheel by hand the scraping noise is still pretty bad were it's catching multiple times during one rotation..

I guess it's a question how much 'catching noise' is normal / and how much isn't....

You said your pads are nearly new, have they been used with your old knackered discs? If so this could be giving you issues as when you fit new discs, new pads should be fitted too as they bed in together.

The old discs were just worn down, had bit of a lip on both sides and pad edges were hitting it

I thought that was why they were scraping when braking. The pads had rust colour dust around the edges from were they were catching the lips

I cleaned them all up before refitting the surfaces looked fine to my eye,

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you clean the hub thoroughly before fitting the new discs?

Sometimes corrosion, dirt etc can sit between hub & disc so they do not align perfectly and behave like a warped disc.

The usual mantra is new disc, new pads. You can put new pads to an old disc that's still in limits but not the other way round.

No, I didn't only because it had what looked like copper grease all over it, that I assume Honda put there when they last put new rear discs on...

Then take them off clean it all up and put a smear of your own grease in there.
That way will eliminate that from the issue

Back