• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Fn2 sudden no start / dead, just a click.

Got in car last night to come home from sisters

Pushed start button, turned over didnt fire, let go and pressed it again, then nothing, just a click from under the bonnet.

Had to bump start it to get it home, ive got battery on charge now but as expected it was still almost fully charged... i have a spare battery off a ford with same terminals that i can try later to rule out the battery.

So im thinking now its either the starter motor or the 'push start button' gone bad..

When i got the car last october the woman said it had a new starter and battery, cars on 97k and its got full honda service history from new.

when i looked through all the invoices the battery was replaced around 5years ago, gen honda one. And theres no receipt for a starter motor..
Maybe a friend did it for them, but the girl had owned it from new and said it only ever went into honda for anything that needed doing

Im hoping its not the starter.. Anyone know if you can get to it easily to change yourself? My undertrays off at the moment, i have been under there recently but didnt look around the starter. I did think last night maybe something under there got wet, cause i was driving in heavy rain....

My first thought last night was its the start button switch. I seemed to remember reading somewhere ages ago that these were a known problem, but i cant find were i read this now..

I read last night on google that people had reported sometimes having to press the start button twice to start their car, mine had been doing that recently sometimes.

Any ideas? Anything else it could be..

Right now im thinking of just buying used starter and start button switch off ebay... can always resell them if its not either of those..

Thx in advance

Lee.

If you've got the tray off try taking the starter out and cleaning up the gear that engages the flywheel, think there is only 1 bolt holding it on.
Also check the solenoid is operating and the gear teeth for damage.

Thx, how do i check the solenoid is operating with it off the car?

The click i can here when pressing start button defo sounds like its coming from the starter

Im wondering if its worth trying the old school, smack the starter a few times with something hard ..

Used to do that with old fords years ago and sometimes it worked and the car would start / run again..

Not my area of expertise.
Try the smack technique I know that can work on a stick motor.

Would you say its safe to rule out the engine start button, given that theres power getting to the starter to make it 'click'?

Back