• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Thinking of trading in for a 2020 - thoughts?

I got my sonic grey FK8 back in November 2017 so the end of my PCP deal is coming up. I was initially going to just keep the car but now I'm thinking of trading in for the 2020 model (probably the metallic grey this time), mainly for the tweaks, another warranty and maybe just hanging on to the Type R for longer.

Has anyone got a '20 facelift model yet? I've read reviews that say the sound symposer is just annoying in anything other than comfort mode and the alcantara wheel will take some looking after and will end up looking manky (not sure what the advantage is, nicer feel?).

Any insights welcome, I guess I should try and test drive one...

I too have had a Sonic since 2017. It's been one of the best cars I've ever owned. Easily equal to my 2 x DC2's.

Only fault is the common buzz from the dashboard (only occurs in very hot conditions). So I can't think I'd improve anything really. Even the colour is the best option. As a reflection on how much love I have for it, it's the first car for over twenty years that I've kept long enough to put through a MOT!

Anyway, next week, happy days, I'm collecting a new champ white CTR, but not a 2020, in fact, it's one of the last run-out models. Yes, I know it's white but I can't have another grey one!

Reasons... hefty discount off new price, plus good trade-in allowance on my current (both of which would obviously change once the 2020 model hits the road)... in fact, the deal is so good, as the old car has held onto enough value to allow me to simply drive onto the dealership, hand over NO money and drive off in my new car (service pack included and PCP monthly costs stay the same).

So apart from the better financial situation - for me, there are two other deal-breakers, that rule out the face-lifted car anyway:

1. Alcantara steering wheel - these have no place on a road car intended to be driven with bare hands - they are designed to be used with gloves. And it does seem bizarre in today's climate of incessant sanitising and hygiene, you're going to wrap your sweaty mitts around a fluffy steering wheel which quite likely is encrusted with someone else's spit, bogies and knob-cheese. Plus of course, within a couple of months it will start to look decidedly secondhand as the surface starts to wear around the grip points. And can you imaging three years down the line trying to get it recovered (+£0000?)

...and 2... the artificial sound 'enhancement'.... please don't get me started....

Incidentally, I recently watched a US YouTube video where the 'American Stig' couldn't quite match the lap time of an old 2018 car using the new 2020 version. He couldn't fully explain why, but said the new car definitely suffered more understeer. Probably a fluke, down to tyres or whatever, but it's perhaps best not to assume the latest is automatically an improvement!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been speaking to a dealer and the 2020 cars not on the system yet?

My issues are poor AC that has failed, poor tyre wear, doubt that will change, standard brakes are poop.

Not fussed about steering wheel as mentioned will look crack in 12 months but like everything else.

I have been speaking to a dealer and the 2020 cars not on the system yet?

My issues are poor AC that has failed, poor tyre wear, doubt that will change, standard brakes are poop.

Not fussed about steering wheel as mentioned will look crack in 12 months but like everything else.

I must be a bit of a pussy as mine is still running the original brakes at 25,000 (2/3rds down) and it’s second set of tyres are barely worn too. That includes a couple of track days too... never experienced the much publicised gear-box bulking issues either... really can’t fault the car at all.

I think the 2020 changes might amount to exactly that: ‘changes’ rather than improvements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I must be a bit of a pussy as mine is still running the original brakes at 25,000 (2/3rds down) and it’s second set of tyres are barely worn too. That includes a couple of track days too... never experienced the much publicised gear-box bulking issues either... really can’t fault the car at all.

I think the 2020 changes might amount to exactly that: ‘changes’ rather than improvements.

I use mine purely enthusiastically, rarely been on a motorway, living near some incredible roads helps!
First front tyres lasted 3.5k miles, MPS4S lasted 8k which is ok.
Front pads x 2 each lasted around 5k, Front Discs changed at 10k, still plenty of meat but vibration, rear pads changed at 9k.

Do dealers even have demo cars? Not one uk press review, I can’t see them being available anytime soon sadly OP

My pcp is up next week and I thought Honda would have been in touch to flog me a new one but guessed the delays to the 2020 model was a reason....but as this is my first brand new owned car, maybe they don’t. Steve did you go to the dealer to see the options? That’s some deal you got there and finally the best colour :D

I was interested to see the deal they would offer as was tempted for 3 more years hassle free motoring, but 1) not bothered by the 2020 upgrades and 2) I really want to mod the car now. For me it needs a touch more shove and torque and there is lots of options out there, I couldn’t do 3 more years standard basically,as I wouldn’t break the warranty.

The equity in the car after the final payment is better than i thought (at the moment of course) so i can keep my options open and use it as deposit if something takes my fancy which I have to say is zero at the moment

My wife’s car has an alcantara wheel and it does indeed look a little dull and flat after a few months. But 2 mins scrubbing it with a micro fibre cloth with auto glym interior shampoo on and then again with plain water and it comes up good as new every time.

you guys do know you can remove that artificial sound speaker thingy?
there is a full guide on the civicx forums :D

Do dealers even have demo cars? Not one uk press review, I can’t see them being available anytime soon sadly OP

My pcp is up next week and I thought Honda would have been in touch to flog me a new one but guessed the delays to the 2020 model was a reason....but as this is my first brand new owned car, maybe they don’t. Steve did you go to the dealer to see the options? That’s some deal you got there and finally the best colour :D

I was interested to see the deal they would offer as was tempted for 3 more years hassle free motoring, but 1) not bothered by the 2020 upgrades and 2) I really want to mod the car now. For me it needs a touch more shove and torque and there is lots of options out there, I couldn’t do 3 more years standard basically,as I wouldn’t break the warranty.

The equity in the car after the final payment is better than i thought (at the moment of course) so i can keep my options open and use it as deposit if something takes my fancy which I have to say is zero at the moment

I played the Carwow joker by getting the best prices from three dealers then simply went back to my original supplying dealer (Yeoman/Guildford) and asked them to beat the best deal. Not all colours were available, red and polished metal being the most prolific, in fact my local dealer (Norwich) offered the best deal of all on a polished... but I had to have white, as I’m intending this one to be the ‘keeper’..!

My wife’s car has an alcantara wheel and it does indeed look a little dull and flat after a few months. But 2 mins scrubbing it with a micro fibre cloth with auto glym interior shampoo on and then again with plain water and it comes up good as new every time.

If driving hero Chris Harris reckons alcantara shouldn’t go anywhere near a road car steering wheel then that’s all I need to know...!

Seriously, annoys me because this change and the sound thing are probably decisions by the Honda marketing dept rather than the engineers...

When COVID hit I really expected Honda to shut shop permanently in the UK since they plan on closing in 2021 anyway. I wonder if an updated 2020 model will materialise especially since there are none around and the website hasn't been updated.

OP - we are 12 mths behind you on our PCP and I have been wondering too what to do later next year, perhaps there will be a runout special model which I might be keen on. Maybe consider keeping yours for a little longer to see what happens and in the meantime, extend your new car warranty as it will make it even easier to get a good price privately in the future.

There’s a lot of 2020 CTR’s arriving in the states judging by the number of collection videos on YouTube. Plus lots of tests too... overall they’re favourable but no direct comparisons to the old model.

Nice, what date have you been given for its arrival? How did you get a discount on a new one?

Thanks. My dealer told me December/Jannuary 2021. I had to confirm my order now to benefit a discount of 2k euros wich ends next monday. The total price agreed is 49,640€. I din't pay anything in advance. I decided for the 2020 because not many of them will around after Swindon closure. It will be rare as it is the facelit of the CTR EP3.

There’s a lot of 2020 CTR’s arriving in the states judging by the number of collection videos on YouTube. Plus lots of tests too... overall they’re favourable but no direct comparisons to the old model.

I wonder if they were built pre shutdown.

I've seen a few taking delivery of sport-line models in EU too, so looks like they're getting everything out.

You can play with the 2020 configurator on the Eu sites; Honda.nl for example has the limited edition and sport line available to configure. - Not sure if there's much point putting the limited edition up as I've heard the allocation here has already sold?

Checked WBAC myself; Since purchasing at 900 miles and getting up to 12,000 Miles - I have lost only £500 in depreciation! - Still valued at 27,500 - Bloody good going if I do say so myself! :D

Looks like I may well be in the money come end of agreement;I wonder if I'll get any sales calls for a 2020? TBH I'd give it strong consideration, esp. if it was 0 deposit and the same payments...

Back