• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Potential new owner - some questions on mods

Good evening all,

New to the forum, but not to Honda. I've previously owned a EP3 Type R and mk4 Prelude 2.2 VTEC.

I'm interested in buying a FN2, but have a couple of queries about mods.

Unfortunately, I have had intermittent tinnitus for the past few years. Luckily, it isn't as bad as what some people deal with and is only in one ear. Because of this I am now careful when modifying cars not to be too loud. Some may think a Type R isn't the best car if I'm not looking for overly loud when modified, but I wanted to see what is out there.

I'd be looking at a modified intake and perhaps a back box as far as hardware goes, I'd be looking at a map (not sure what's out there) to finish the performance mods.

Can anyone recommend a relatively quiet aftermarket intake, which will give a bit more performance, without a huge increase in volume? Unfortunately this is subjective and it's hard to really say what loud is on a forum.

Can anyone recommend a back box, or even a full system which does not drone or sound too boomy inside the car?

Thanks for any advice.

Not on the fn2, it's one of the quieter ones. On the ep3, yes.
Thought you would have known that ;)

Not on the fn2, it's one of the quieter ones. On the ep3, yes.
Thought you would have known that ;)

It's still pretty loud from memory, certainly louder than something like the Mugen or ITG intakes.

Yeah, the mugen is similar to oem. The gruppe M on the fn2 isn't loud (I had one). It is a cone filter but it's enclosed and the "scoop" is large enough to keep the noise down. You had a mugen airbox didn't you? The tegiwa airbox is a smoothed version of the oem for the fn2, that might be a good choice for the OP.

A bit off topic but does the tegiwa intake on the Fn2 actually increase power because to me it's looks just the same as the standard airbox

Back