• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Help 05 Ep3 Type R bogging down at 6/7 k rpm when driving

Hi my names Kai from manchester im new to this forum stuff i bought a 2005 civic type r ep3 in june this year. Since owning the car i have realised shes got a few issues.

Ive managed to solve some but some majors (sounds like major issues but im no mechanic) are still there.

Mods
Standard apart from a decat and gruppe m induction kit.

I bought the car off a close friend who owned it for a year before me. He had gotten ripped off or stung shall i say when he bought the car. The guy who owned it before him had removed the eml light bulb so tge light does not come up and he had a good mess around with the obd port wiring. Which i have managed to sort out in my ownership.

Since my ownership i have given the car a full service (fresh quality oil cant remeber name of brand, air filter, pollen filter, oil filter, and spark plugs.

The minor issues are droplinks or bushes/shocks

On to the majors, for starters it seems like its trying to cut out if you whent anywhere near the vtec around 4/5k rpm. Like i said earlier i managed to sort out the obd connection and had snap on diagnostic to read the ecu and the following problems were listed:
VTec system failure
Knock sensor no signal
O2 sensor front
O2 sensor rear

I Did some digging around and realised the knock sensor is broken. Couple of days later i had all 3 sensors fitted, plugged it back on to the snap on diagnostic and no error codes. Its made a massive difference but the same problem occurs when you get to 6/7k rpm and the occasional 8k rpm if it lets u get there.

It feels like a fuelling issue to me. At the time of me servicing the car i bought a bosh fuel filter and only to be told by the mechanic that its a honda only part and it doesnt require changing often as normal filters located in the engine bay.

Is this true?

Has anybody else had this or a similar issue?

A few other issues she has:

1.Makes a grinding noise when starting the car sometimes. (CAN BE LOUD)
2.Struggles to start once shes been warmed up properly if she does Starts she will cut off imediately and occasionally sounds like starting a dead engine thats just about to turn over but does eventually start.

Surprisingly cold Starts have been good except for the grinding noise which goes away a second or two.

Thank you if youve had similar issues let me know.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum. Can’t help much with the issues you’ve mentioned as the poor running can be so many things and it can be a lot of trial and error. Fuel filter I believe is located in the tank and accessible under the rear seats if it’s the same as the DC5. Definitely worth ruling out and certainly won’t do any harm. If issues present themselves near crossover you could also look into VTEC solenoid replacement. This can clog with deposits over time and cause poor running.

The screech on startup is very common particularly on colder starts. It’s a noise the starter motor makes and doesn’t cause any issues. You could replace it only to find it’s doing the same after a year or two so I wouldn’t stress it.

HTH!

Welcome to the forum. Can’t help much with the issues you’ve mentioned as the poor running can be so many things and it can be a lot of trial and error. Fuel filter I believe is located in the tank and accessible under the rear seats if it’s the same as the DC5. Definitely worth ruling out and certainly won’t do any harm. If issues present themselves near crossover you could also look into VTEC solenoid replacement. This can clog with deposits over time and cause poor running.

The screech on startup is very common particularly on colder starts. It’s a noise the starter motor makes and doesn’t cause any issues. You could replace it only to find it’s doing the same after a year or two so I wouldn’t stress it.

HTH!
Thanks for your help appreciate it

Mileage? Vtec solenoid gasket is an easy fix.
Its just nudging 117k. Yh my mate suggested that to, do you think its worth changing the oil switch thats inside the solenoid?
Cheers

Screech on startup is normal, I use to have it on mine. Nothing to worry about

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Iv only had the car since june so dont know how long it realyy been screeching for

Im sure you wont have many issues with the car hopefully once you sort this out, I owned mine for 7/8 years and had no major issues.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Other than starter motor just need a new vtec solenoid gasket hopefully will be good once sorted.
Cheers

Back