• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 A big disappointment

Well I had my test drive in the FK8 Type R as I was going to order a Boost Blue one when they arrive on these shores. However I was disappointed with the car it only had 400+ miles on the clock but the dash had a terrible buzzing noise coming from it and overall it looked cheap and nasty inside especially the back seat material and crap plastics. As stated before I used to have the EP3 which I loved. Therefore I have ordered a Audi SQ2 and yes I know its a completely different animal and it won't go round a track as fast but god its quick and better specked. Still sad that the Type R failed to meet my expectations especially as I love the Boost Blue colour.

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/jeremy-clarkson-anyone-genuinely-want-buy-audi-sq2/ :p talking of interiors...

No, Fair enough the interior is not on Audi’s level and it’s a shame you had a bit of a duffer with the rattle but there are rattles for sure. Never thought I’d see someone in for a Type r also interested in a SQ2 but good luck to you. Hope you don’t see a boost blue at the lights (from your lofted position obviously!) and regret it! Although if you do just leave him for dead...

I agree a demo can sometimes put you off, I test drove an rs3 which pulled to the left slightly and had a red light on the dash the whole time, even the Hyundai i30 I test drove had door rattles too.
Just makes me wonder why the dealers are not all over it to make sure they're perfect ?

Because they hope that you are so desperate to buy that particular model, or why else would you be test driving it, that you will be blind to those little niggles.
Seems like they can't spot a proper car enthusiast when they see one.

Dealers are in general lazy, I’d make sure the car was perfect for any test drive, however I doubt I would dismiss a car based on a rattle. At the moment you couldn’t get the new blue colour anyway so dealer likely quite arrogant about the fact that there is a waiting list.

We have said it lots of times before, many dealers salesman, its just a job to them. They might as well be selling fridges. There are great salesmen don't get me wrong, but i have yet to find one that knows as much as me about the car I am buying. If that sounds big headed, good..! If I was a salesman I would have the tyre paint and quick detailers out..!

I drove two demonstrators before buying mine and all three have had no buzzing or vibrations. So far!

Yep, agree with this. I continue to be impressed with mine 18 months on. Rattles less than way more expensive cars i've owned or been in.

But still, I'm not going to criticise the OP. You came, you tried it and didn't like it. Bought something you did like so enjoy it!!!

I had my heart set on an RS4 a few years ago, until I drove one. I was so disappointed in how dull it felt on the road and I couldn't drive at 6000 rpm everywhere just to make it sound good. Walked out, straight round the corner and bought an M3!

The head vs heart conversation is a tricky one though, as a car enthusiast! I've been on both sides of buying a car with my heart! Doesn't always work out.......

Yep, agree with this. I continue to be impressed with mine 18 months on. Rattles less than way more expensive cars i've owned or been in.

But still, I'm not going to criticise the OP. You came, you tried it and didn't like it. Bought something you did like so enjoy it!!!

I had my heart set on an RS4 a few years ago, until I drove one. I was so disappointed in how dull it felt on the road and I couldn't drive at 6000 rpm everywhere just to make it sound good. Walked out, straight round the corner and bought an M3!

The head vs heart conversation is a tricky one though, as a car enthusiast! I've been on both sides of buying a car with my heart! Doesn't always work out.......

I tried something similar with a M5. Always wanted one, (needed four doors, so no M3), but was really disappointed with the build and the drive, loved the noise though. Tried the AMG 53 Merc, again, lovely noise.

My car's an Ex-demo with a few rattles that rear their heads when the planets misalign.

It's bloody annoying, but I've sorted most of them out now - Either way, It's worth it for the driving experience:- Not just myself, but It's surprised a number of others (Including some extremely experienced drivers!) with not only the handling, but also simple enjoyment.

I suppose it depends on what you want to do with the car; I'm sure if you ordered one and had rattles it could be sorted by the dealer, or by yourself with an hour and a roll of tesa tape.

Well I had my test drive in the FK8 Type R as I was going to order a Boost Blue one when they arrive on these shores. However I was disappointed with the car it only had 400+ miles on the clock but the dash had a terrible buzzing noise coming from it and overall it looked cheap and nasty inside especially the back seat material and crap plastics. As stated before I used to have the EP3 which I loved. Therefore I have ordered a Audi SQ2 and yes I know its a completely different animal and it won't go round a track as fast but god its quick and better specked. Still sad that the Type R failed to meet my expectations especially as I love the Boost Blue colour.
Well the FK8 surpassed my expectations. I came from a history of scooby STI's and lotus', so I have had many a crap interior and rattles. What I do rate is driving enjoyment above all else... And the FK8 Type R delivers this in spades.

Back