• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Fuel pump recall

The main symptom that has been a precursor to failure based on US reports is long cranking times; I must say - Prior to the replacement on mine, (Even when I first got the car) I thought the battery was dodgy as it was taking so long to crank, even after charging the battery - It never presented a big problem though, so didn't bother me.

Now it's been replaced, Cranking is much faster and "More reliable" feeling.

Every now and then, probably about 3/4 times in 2 years I've had the car, mine takes a few seconds to start - to the point where i thought it wasnt going to start.
It was never after any prolongued period of not being used, just the next morning for work etc.
Guess I better check VIN number against recall (Forgot) in case..

In 18 months I’ve had two long cranking episodes with one timing out so the car didn’t start. Tried it again an started straight away. Didn’t think anymore of it till I got the recall letter

I've just had a recall letter come through today to get mine done. Weird it's taken so long as I've had the car since November 2020. Think this topic category got messed up in the forum change as it's labelled as EP3. Anyway, guess a trip to the dealers is in the offing.

My dealer wanted the car with no more than 10 miles range left if I could. Think it had 12 left if I remember. Dropped it off first thing in the morning and it was ready at the end of the day.

Yeah I will make sure it's nearly dry before dropping it off. Annoyingly I'm nearly on empty at the moment, but need the car for a trip on Saturday so will have to do some calculations to not put too much in! I wonder if when the indicated range reads '0' it's still actually got 30-odd miles left in it for safety?

I once ran mine with just 2 miles in the tank, but that was squeaky bum time enough for me. would be interested to know how much longer any folks have managed to run with 0 miles displayed on the dash.

I've also found the lower the fuel level the bigger the "whoosh" when you stick the nozzle in at the petrol station, mine is a 2018 build and hasn't been called for the fuel pump. I wonder if you guys with the newer builds get the same "whoosh" (and a face full of petrol spray) when you fill up your cars?

I once ran mine with just 2 miles in the tank, but that was squeaky bum time enough for me. would be interested to know how much longer any folks have managed to run with 0 miles displayed on the dash.

I've also found the lower the fuel level the bigger the "whoosh" when you stick the nozzle in at the petrol station, mine is a 2018 build and hasn't been called for the fuel pump. I wonder if you guys with the newer builds get the same "whoosh" (and a face full of petrol spray) when you fill up your cars?

I stand to one side and stick my finger in it the filler to release the pressure. I got fed up of getting covered in fuel spray

yep, although you'll end up with a stinky finger :) (garages round here never seem to have those disposable gloves).

for me it's always sods law that it's happens worst when I'm suited up for work or a night out that I get sprayed!

I can confirm the 2019 model gives the 'whoosh.' I tend to just put the tip of the nozzle in first, allow the whoosh to escape, before full penetration occurs and I deliver the fluid.

Mine's booked in for this Thursday, no mention of turning up with very little fuel when I arranged it.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

They didn't ask me to leave it nearly empty either...just thought it made sense :p

Expect the cabin to smell of fuel for 2-3 days after ;)

In hindsight I didn't actually get any extra fuel...just wrongly assumed they'd added some because that was what the gauge was telling me @ the time of collection.

I initially took the car in for the recall with next to no fuel & when I picked it up the gauge said it was half full.

Used it for work for a few days & the gauge didn't drop.

Then one day the gauge randomly said it was almost full without me adding any fuel.

Paperwork reads as follows....

"Investigate fuel gauge not working since we carried out the recall.

Float sensor was stuck,removed and re-fitted.

Now all OK. Fuel level is now accurate.

The range will rectify itself whilst driving."

Back