• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Knock Sensor Error after Clutch Replacement - FN2

My son's brother-in-law and his friend work at a large car sales garage and said they would change my clutch on 2008 FN2 and put on a light weight flywheel (Exedy clutch with Fidanza lightweight Flywheel), he admitted that he had broken the knock sensor when working on it. We have now tried 2 cheaper replacement knock sensors, supposedly were supposed to work but flag up the engine light after a short drive. The oem Honda sensor is £100 so I guess we now need to get that one.

My other concern is that the oil level warning light also came on whilst test driving even though the level is fine - could this be caused by a dodgy knock sensor or could this guy have messed something else up whilst replacing the clutch and flywheel, he seems to think the knock sensor would be to blame whereas I am getting rather concerned.

If anyone has experience with this it would be helpful.

This is the 2nd knock sensor we tried from RHD Performance which I had contacted to check if ok for FN2, but flags up error code....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KNOCK-SE...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently had a knock sensor light come on, replaced with an OEM KS and it's resolved.

Not sure on the oil level warning. IIRC the oil level sensor is in the sump, did they take the sump off?

As far as I am aware, it only triggered if more than 3 litres is lost. The car holds 4.5-5l full, so obviously you'd be very low on oil for the sensor to come on, and obviously with 3 litres missing, you'd be risking doing damage to your engine to drive it. If the dipstick is showing oil is near the top hole, then something is wrong with the sensor for sure.

I would guess the best thing to do is replace the knock sensor with a OEM one (you might get a good condition used one for less than £100 on eBay). Get the error code re-set, and then see if the oil warning comes up again after.

If it does, you might need to drain the oil and locate the sensor and see if it's damaged.

Back