• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Misfire on Idle

I've got a 2005 ep3 with a very rough, misfiring idle. It sometimes struggles to start especially when warm.. However anything above 1k rpm and it runs sweet as can be again!

I've had it in for a compression test and it measured 180psi on cylinder #1, 125psi on #2, 70psi on #3 and 60psi on #4 which is obviously not good. (He also checked the valve clearence which was absolutely fine)

I'd like to note that it doesn't smoke at all on idle or under hard load other than the normal grey smoke whilst it warms up, but it does burn a fair bit of oil. (did an oil change about 3 months ago to max and checked it the other day and it was just above min so I topped it back up to max)

I'm pretty sure it's not the head gasket as the oil is a perfectly normal colour and as I said, so it the smoke. The fact that there is no smoke under hard load also tells me that it's probably not the piston rings which only leaves the valves, however would it not be kicking out blue smoke on idle if that was the case?

Any thoughts or advice on what it's likely to be, or if I've missed anything would be much appreciated, Cheers.

Back