• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 New wheels

CAC

Hi guys,

I’ve had my fk8 for around 2 months now and just debating changing wheels as the standard ones sit a bit too far in for my liking and would prefer some that sit flush with the arches.

Initially I wanted to go for 18” or 19” but read an article that said it could affect the handling considerably, cause torque steer etc and also saw a member on here went to 18” and regretted it.

But if I was to stick to 20” and just change the offset would that be okay or would I still notice a difference?

It's the offset that makes the handling difference. The stock ones are et60, 8.5j.

A lot of Americans change them and swear by et45, 9.5j. Will fill you arch very nicely.

If its just a daily you'll probably not notice the difference. It's need smaller wheel IMO, ride on 20s even in comfort is too harsh.

19s with some chunkier tyres would be for me!

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Hey CAC tell us more about your car?

You could always just get some hub centric spacers to fill the arches more and keep the standards

There are the same concerns, but no one with them as reported it apparently after talking to Dream who did a few.

20's range is really limited in the aftermarket. I had the same feelings and lots of searching later, and ones I liked were mostly 18s. This thread may give some info in case you have not already seen it: https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/civic-type-r-after-market-wheel-guide.13994/

I was agonising over this for 6 months and eventually went with 18”s et45 it’s one of the most practical, sensible mods you can do for U.K. roads plus £135 a corner for PS4’s
Torque steer / handling is affected slightly but you are well into getting banned from driving before it’s really a problem !

The perfect wheel is the FK2 19” same offset as FK8 but you get more rubber

Had mine on for 2 years and don’t regret doing it, I have kept the originals because I think it would be better for resale value.

I was agonising over this for 6 months and eventually went with 18”s et45 it’s one of the most practical, sensible mods you can do for U.K. roads plus £135 a corner for PS4’s
Torque steer / handling is affected slightly but you are well into getting banned from driving before it’s really a problem !

The perfect wheel is the FK2 19” same offset as FK8 but you get more rubber

Had mine on for 2 years and don’t regret doing it, I have kept the originals because I think it would be better for resale value.

This is spot on with how I feel. I’ve gone full circle as well. Frankly, those 20s lasting the car is extremely unlikely. There are so many pictures of them wrecked by potholes or road debris. I want to keep mine stored for originality as they aren’t cheap to replace but buy a set of everyday shoes.

A lot of guys are running 400bhp at the wheels on 18s in the US so it’s obviously not unbearable. The wishbone set up is meant to reduce the majority of the torque steer so any change to the wheels sounds manageable and worth the compromise for saving your 20s.

Even guys that thought they’d looked after their 20s were finding them badly buckled on the balancing machine when getting new tyres fitted.

Do you have any pics of your 18s fitted Ray?

Last edited by a moderator:
Where did you get them from if you don’t mind me asking?

I like them to sit slightly further out but I’m guessing the ones on the team dynamics car here are the 9.5j flavour:

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1811950

I really like the Titan 7 T-R10 too and they come in 19” but they are at another price point. Also a tough decision whether to try and source them in bronze to go on red. I’ve only ever seen the bronze available in the US though.

Edit. Just noticed The Techa Bronze was ltd edition so will likely stick to the black theme

Last edited by a moderator:
I had gone wheelbase in Chadderton Manchester and was about to order some when a set came on eBay with track tyres and it was tegiwa imports off there FK8 track car.
I would email Dream because Phil has used various wheels on his car during the time attack competition.

Hi guys,

I’ve had my fk8 for around 2 months now and just debating changing wheels as the standard ones sit a bit too far in for my liking and would prefer some that sit flush with the arches.

Initially I wanted to go for 18” or 19” but read an article that said it could affect the handling considerably, cause torque steer etc and also saw a member on here went to 18” and regretted it.

But if I was to stick to 20” and just change the offset would that be okay or would I still notice a difference?

Some rotiform 6 18” going with advan tyres if still on the look out?

Back