• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Just got my second FN2

Hi - a couple of weeks ago I picked up my second FN2 on a 2009 plate with 79,000 miles. I've just put two new shocks on the back as one was knocking over bumps.

Looking through the service history I missed the fact that there's no record of valve clearance being done at all. There is no noise from the engine as far as I can tell, but I am booked in for it to be done by Honda next week (£100). I have read that sometimes mistakes can be made during the clearance adjustment that can lead to the engine being worse. Since I've never heard the tapping I was wondering when is the best time to listen for it, at idle with the bonnet up or otherwise?

Happy motoring all.

Trouble is it's not just about the tapping. If a valve is too tight and there is no gap, you won't hear it. I did my own, two or three times. Nice job if you're confident about doing it.

Thanks both, I'm booked in now so will bite the bullet/take the risk on this occasion.

Short of standing over their shoulder which I guess isn't going to be permitted :lol: Is there anything I can check in terms of sound or anything else before I drive away?

I got mine done at my local Honda dealership recently, before it went in my engine sounded quiet and not tappety burn after they had done them it was definitely more tappety. Don’t get me wrong it performs great but it is a noisey. I’m guessing maybe they were adjusted too tight previously?

Back