• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Two Stage Vtec?

Hi Folks,

This will likely be a strange one. Completely new to Vtec, and more so new to petrol engines in itself. I've been a diesel driven since I passed my test.

Just a curious question, I've noticed while pushing the car (07 FN2 Type R), I've noticed it seems like there's two stages of Vtec. An initial pull around 5800rpm, and then a second kick around 7/7.5k rpm. Has anyone else experienced this, or is it just a placebo?

Again, would like to clarify, new to Vtec and petrol in general, so consider this a completely newbie post.

For reference, 107k 07 FN2 GT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Folks,

This will likely be a strange one. Completely new to Vtech, and more so new to petrol engines in itself. I've been a diesel driven since I passed my test.

Just a curious question, I've noticed while pushing the car (07 FN2 Type R), I've noticed it seems like there's two stages of Vtech. An initial pull around 5800rpm, and then a second kick around 7/7k rpm. Has anyone else experienced this, or is it just a placebo?

Again, would like to clarify, new to Vtech and petrol in general, so consider this a completely newbie post.

For reference, 107k 07 FN2 GT.

Totally with you fella - I experience the same thing from my 58 FN2 GT with 116K on the clock. Has done it for years now on and off.....
I’d be interested to learn if it’s an actual fault or characteristic.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*vtec (not vtech) ;)

Was waiting for somebody to say!! :D

If you look at how VTEC works (2 sets of cam lobes) this confirms there can only be a single crossover.

What you’re describing isn’t something I felt in either my DC5 or FN2 so I think this will be some kind of quirk with the way yours is running. Diagnosing would be difficult though as I can think of quite a few things that could do this. Just keep a good routine of maintenance and either it will go or it will present itself in a more obvious way with time. Wouldn’t overly worry about it though

That's what I get with mine every time.
Initial hit at 5500 then a surge at 7500 or so just before red line.

Well in that case I stand corrected! It must be a thing if a few are saying they are feeling it, in which case I have a bad butt dyno!
Perhaps what you’re feeling is the VTC which is the electronically controlled valve timing which works in conjunction with the physical cam profile changes

Last edited by a moderator:
If you look at a dyno read out, you'll see the ECU follows a map of acceleration, the cam profile change is not the only thing that governs how the car accelerates.

Mines been remapped now, so its not the same as yours, but as you hit 4k, there is a sudden deeper noise as the intake starts to gulp in more air and it starts to accelerate more rapidly, and the rate of acceleration increases to about 5.5k and then goes berserk, all the way out to redline. It's difficult to tell exactly where the VTEC change over is.

In short, doubt there is anything to worry about.

The only thing to be wary of is if there is not sufficient oil pressure to move the cam profile across, as always be very vigilant on oil levels, keep it at or just above the top dot on the dip-stick, never drive it hard with low oil.

Back