• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 FK2 Rev Hang

Does anyone else find the rev hang to be quite bad on the FK2? I'm really struggling with it and its really killing the enjoyment of driving the car right now. It's not so bad in higher gears but second to third is just horrible. Anything I can do to make it better or something I need to get looked at?

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/rev-hang-explained-and-why-petrolheads-hate-it/

I think you’re looking at a remap. Given these engines are DI, it’s probably worth investing in a catch can if you removed the rev hang too as this seem to suggest it will increase oil vaporisation. Sounds even more important to keep a regular check on oil levels after doing this too although I’ve not heard anyone with a mapped vehicle mention increased oil consumption. I guess it depends how often you drive hard

Last edited by a moderator:
I read the other day rev hang is all to do with emissions as it stops any lean or rich mixtures

No different in FK8, drives me nuts but after 3 years begrudgingly getting used to it.

Not sure I am getting used to it, just kills the enjoyment so much. Its more noticeable when you get into higher revs and doing a spirited drive, when you try to keep momentum and do a quick shift, it seems to be even worse as if the car is deliberately trying make you drive more economically. If you try and ignore it, and drive it like any normal car, it becomes very unsmooth and clunky. Doing slow gear changes seems to be the answer which kind of defeats the object of the car.

No different in FK8, drives me nuts but after 3 years begrudgingly getting used to it.

It should be different but I think you’ve owned both cars and I haven’t! Mechanically at least I recently read a big reason for the rev hang in addition to mapping is the dual mass flywheel in the FK2. They went back to single mass for the FK8 to make the rev changing more dramatic so I’m surprised to hear it’s no better at all.

I noticed some owners have managed to change from DMF to SMF on the FK2 but I’d imagine it’s not cheap!

Flywheel for the FK2 is £1080.99
Flywheel for the FK8 is £365

Straightforward swap from what I remember

Back