• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

TIMING CHAIN DONE BEFORE??

Hi all
Due to the fact my R came with very little service history I was contemplating having the timing chain replaced, the car is on 22 thou now and I was wanting to be more safe than sorry, however I adjusted the valve clearances today and I saw that all the timing marks had reasonably clean tippex/paint marks on them and looking down inside the timing cover I can see that silicone has been used either to aid the gasket or replace the gasket that joins the timing cover to the engine, I presume that Honda on assembly at the factory wouldn't put tippex on the timing marks I also presume that silicone wouldn't have been used to close the timing cover, does any one else think as I do that the timing chain has been done already?

If it's on 22k miles then nothing beyond normal servicing needs doing for a long time.
there are age related items like coolant and gearbox oil than will need doing but your don't say how old it is.

Honda do use a white marker on some things to show it's been done in the factory.
There is a Honda sealant that is used with the cam cover gasket too.
I think you are worrying unnecessarily

The white markings on the cam sprockets are from factory. The silicone as you call it is honda bond, every time you place the gasket there are 4 points that need a bead of Honda bond. Chain, tensioner and guide plus fitting will probably set you back £600.

sorry guys my bad should have read 122 thou..the white marks i refer to are actually highlighting the timing marks on the sprockets as if to make them easier to see and the sealant i can see is if you actually look down inside the timing cover where it mates to the block..i cant imagine Honda would use silicone on such a large area..i may be wrong thanks for your reply ***

following as mine has done 105k and was wondering if mine needed doing. No rattle or noise (yet!) but don’t want leave it if it needs doing. Having a nightmare finding a mechanic or garage that would do it. Honda main dealer wants over £1200

Back