• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 FK8 Inbound

McR

Hello peps, I'm potentially getting my type R tomorow / Thurs new from Honda.

Couple of questions for folks that have brought them. Are there any extras people would recomend when buying new? Like a service pack etc Are there any running in things that should be done? What bolster protectors do people use?

Congratulations on the impending purchase!

I personally went for the service plan. I think it was a 5 year one but a bit of a no brainer money wise, even if I handed it back after 3 years if I recall.

I got them to throw genuine mats in at no additional cost as they’re £120ish I think?

I also paid £45 per month over 8 months for some chips and dings protection they offered that covered any scuffs, chips and dents provided they were less surface area than about 6 inches or so in diameter. I’d read loads about how sticky the tyres are kicking up gravel so went with that too.

Run in period is either 625 or 675 miles I forget. I ran mine in a little more before really thrashing the engine but that was just me and my mechanical sympathies!

Enjoy!

Congrats McR. Tell us about your car presume it’s the facelift and what colour?

If your getting it tomorrow won’t you have done the deal on the extras already? Like David I got the service plan, essential as I am there it seems hell of a lot these days. Also got the smart repair cover, had them out 6 times so well worth it. Mats got no deal on but worth it and I also got gap insurance for peace of mind.

I ran mine in for 650 miles. Some say you don’t need to, I happened to do it a week away in Cornwall, so up to you.

Bolster protection is limited to seat covers from dream that are essential if a little baggy, and getting in where you fall into the car missing the bolster, and exiting swing the leg over into the lowest part. Wearing jeans the boosters did get flattened and marks so I can’t recommend covers enough

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on the impending purchase!

I personally went for the service plan. I think it was a 5 year one but a bit of a no brainer money wise, even if I handed it back after 3 years if I recall.

I got them to throw genuine mats in at no additional cost as they’re £120ish I think?

I also paid £45 per month over 8 months for some chips and dings protection they offered that covered any scuffs, chips and dents provided they were less surface area than about 6 inches or so in diameter. I’d read loads about how sticky the tyres are kicking up gravel so went with that too.

Run in period is either 625 or 675 miles I forget. I ran mine in a little more before really thrashing the engine but that was just me and my mechanical sympathies!

Enjoy!

Remind me do you not have an FK8 anymore?

Still have it Fan. I’m quite a new owner myself still. Picked mine up 1st March so 9 months into ownership and a measly 1300 miles thanks to a pandemic!

Mats and a service plan. And yep, run in for 500/600 miles, let the engine and gearbox warm up properly before hooning it and take your time with gear changes, that way you won’t get the dreaded crunch.

Thanks for the details. It's a 2020 model in yellow.

Congrats McR. Tell us about your car presume it’s the facelift and what colour?

If your getting it tomorrow won’t you have done the deal on the extras already? Like David I got the service plan, essential as I am there it seems hell of a lot these days. Also got the smart repair cover, had them out 6 times so well worth it. Mats got no deal on but worth it and I also got gap insurance for peace of mind.

I ran mine in for 650 miles. Some say you don’t need to, I happened to do it a week away in Cornwall, so up to you.

Bolster protection is limited to seat covers from dream that are essential if a little baggy, and getting in where you fall into the car missing the bolster, and exiting swing the leg over into the lowest part. Wearing jeans the boosters did get flattened and marks so I can’t recommend covers enough

If it’s THE yellow one I believe that has a different run in process.
1.Drive home
2. Park in garage to gather dust for 20 years

At least that’s what most of the buyers will do lol

In all seriousness I hope you enjoy it. Definitely get some pictures up!

If it’s THE yellow one I believe that has a different run in process.
1.Drive home
2. Park in garage to gather dust for 20 years

At least that’s what most of the buyers will do lol

In all seriousness I hope you enjoy it. Definitely get some pictures up!

:lol::lol:
Id add don't go out in summer or you will fry

Congrats on the car, the yellow ltd edition will need pampering, it is ironic it is designed for track, with most sat in a garage for most of its life :(

I drove up to 4K revs for first 250 miles after that gave it beans. When running in use different gears and dont sit on the motorway for miles on end. Brakes, I tend to give it 3 good stamps on the discs and pads but don’t come to a stop then cool off completely. I know that isn’t what everyone suggests, 3 stops from 30 etc but found this works well.

I wish I had ppf on front end, rear spats, service plan is great value, I have had 4 services since new just under 3 years ago, 5th due in January.

Try as I may the bolsters seem to wear, I don’t like covers so if planning on long term ownership might be worth budgeting for a retire every 5 years, mine despite being ultra careful are not looking that great now.

Yep. I've seen FK2's on track but I've not seen any FK8's on track - Is that just me ?

Why would you track it, it overheats :lol:

nah, I’ve seen a few in person at donington, coombe and Silverstone, not high numbers but it’s a rare car in warranty for many. M2’s though, loads of them, normally with vanilla vape coming from the drivers window :p

Reality is not many can afford to track a 35k new car, consumables are high too, not sure I’ll ever track mine.

Back