• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Whining as Revs rise

Hello all,

New to the Type R scene. Been a proud owner of a low 40,000 Mile Championship White FN2 for 2 weeks now. Already put on 1000 miles of my own and absolutely loving it overall.

Just a quick question about something that I believe has came on since I bought it, that wasn't there on the test drive.. Or maybe it was and I just enjoyed the VTEC too much?

There is a whining noise that gets louder as the revs rise, and slowly drops off as I deaccelerate. It happens in Neutral and whilst driving at any rev range. Sounds very much like a Super Charger, but the car is completely standard.

I bought it from a Main Dealer so I'd hope to get any issues rectified if it is.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you get under the bonnet and listen for it you may be able to narrow it down.
It is probably something on the driver's side of the engine like Flashy suggests.
Sounds a bit early for the pulleys to be going but you don't know how it was driven in those 40k miles.

If you’re handy with a spanner you can remove the aux belt and start the car provided it’s cold. 30 to 40 seconds of giving the throttle a few blips to see if the whine has gone will help you confirm if it’s one of the pulleys or something all together different.
You obviously just need to be mindful that this is a test with a short time window as your water pump won’t be running.
I asked a similar question to this a few years ago on the DC5 forum and it was steering pump in my case but it just reminded me of the reply I had.

If the whining gets louder with the revs could it be coming from the Mrs in the passenger seat? :D

Back