• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

First time alloy wheel refurb - 4 x Honda Penta 17" Alloys

JMR

TRO Supporter
Furloughed again in Lockdown 2.0 :(

However has given me plenty of time to do a few things I otherwise would struggle to get done.

My son has some spare wheels for his Civic that are frankly, in a horrible state. :lol:

He's never going to use them so he said let's put them on eBay.
I said no-one will want them they're so badly kerbed, but while I've got some time on my hands I'll help you have a bash at tidying them up! :thumb:

At least if they were all the same colour, and the kerb rash was removed, they would stand a decent chance of selling and looking appealing to someone.

Even if I messed them up, they would be no worse than before.

IMG_0074 by *JMR*, on Flickr

Yes they really are in a bad state aren't they :wall:

IMG_0076 by *JMR*, on Flickr

IMG_0073 by *JMR*, on Flickr

Sanded down the kerbed edges with various grades of sandpaper, and flap discs on the drill, starting with P120.

Some of the kerbing was too deep to fully remove, so I just cleaned up as much as I could and smoothed it out

IMG_0091 by *JMR*, on Flickr

All four have had their lips and faces sanded and keyed ready for prep

IMG_0092 by *JMR*, on Flickr

I cleaned up the whole of the face and windows with IPA solution which left a great clean finish.
Acid Etch Primer x 4 coats

IMG_0102 by *JMR*, on Flickr

Left about 15-20 mins or so between coats.

Then applied 3 coats of Honda Satin Silver colour coat, again about 20 mins apart.

This left me with this, looking A LOT smarter, not 100%, but more than presentable and ready for lacquering.

IMG_0105 by *JMR*, on Flickr

Left them for 24 hours+, and then gave them 3 coats of polyurethane lacquer, 30 mins between coats.

Stuck them in the garage with the dehumidifier doing its business, and a day later they look and feel great.

Finished items

IMG_0184 by *JMR*, on Flickr

IMG_0187 by *JMR*, on Flickr

IMG_0182 by *JMR*, on Flickr

More than happy with the results and my lad was over the moon.

We've listed them tonight on eBay and Facebook.
Looking for about £200 ono for them - I think that seems a fair pricing considering what prices they are going for on various sites.

Like I say, not a pro job, but I've learned a lot and wont be scared of attempting something like this again.

I was that happy with the job, I wish I'd take a bit more time to get them 100%
But my lad was pushing me on saying just get some paint on them dad. :lol:

If nothing else, they will be a great replacement for badly kerbed wheels for someone on a budget or a cracking set of winter wheels. Well done.

Great effort there, they look brilliant. It’s definitely worth having a go your self. Hope you get good money for them.

Sold straight away.

only got 1 bidder on eBay although there were 7 watchers

Went for the opening bid which was £140.00

Bit disappointed but they're gone now.
And I wouldn't have paid £80 for them without me refurbing them lol :lol:

Nothing lost really.

Back