• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 rotational thud on full lock

As above over the last few days whilst on full lock obviously driving slowly there is a pretty loud rotational thud/banging noise ( only way I can really explain it) now it does it on both wheels, full right lock left side does it and full left lock does it on drivers side. Has anyone had this before? If so any ideas? I thought CV joint initially but really don't think its that

If only when cold it is normal, caused by the locking diff, once the oil warms up it will go.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

If only when cold it is normal, caused by the locking diff, once the oil warms up it will go.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I did wonder that but wasn't sure and couldn't really find anything online so thought I'd ask. I'll check again later once it's warm cheers

Sounds like the diff. I think I’m right in saying the FK8 diff is helical so shouldn’t be that aggressive but definitely seems more aggressive than other oem diffs I’ve had. Not a patch on the plate diff in the dc5 I had though. Sounded like it was broken on full lock in winter!!

Haha when it first happened it sounded like i ran something over and it got stuck, but with it being so aggressive didn't think it would be the diff, glad it's only that though haha

Just to add to this when you have pretty wide tyres & you are manouvering,at low speeds will full lock,on cold/wet roads the tyres can drag/jump :p

It seems to be even worse in reverse...it happens every time I reverse off my drive in the Winter #-o

Last edited by a moderator:
I get that, I try and make the reverse as “shallow” as I can, but it’s still unnerving.

A combination of aggressive steering geometry & less flexible tyres in the cold temperatures :p

Just see it as a reminder that it was set-up to go round corners well @ speed :D

Yeah I totally get that, I was just sat wondering what it could be and could of been so many things. II hate using full lock but I have no choice to get out the street.

Back