• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Rev indicators

Hello.
I’ve not long had my car. And I’m slowly finding things out almost daily.
I’ve set my clock interface to show up the digital Rev counter.
When I start the engine it does it’s thing. Which I think looks so cool.
But when I’m actually driving it doesn’t glow at all. Green-amber-Red
I’ve asked my dealer about this. And he tells me it only works when I’m right up high in the revs, and it indicates when it’s the optimum time to change gear. But seeing as I’m still breaking her in gradually. Only 400+ miles up to now. I’m reluctant to Rev it too hard to see if he’s right.
Is this the case. Or should I be seeing it working from the moment it’s activated
Regards GTEC

Thanks Dave.
That’s another question answered.
I’m pretty sure there’ll be more to come.
It’s a shame they only work like that.
I’d like to see it working most of the time without having to take it to the red line
Blind Regards G

I think they all work like that to be honest. The only other car I had with one of these was the FN2 and they only came on at the top. I think it’s purpose is more to let you know shortly before the shift rather than be lit all the time. Certainly for the LED type indicator I’d imagine it would be quite distracting if on all the time. It’s less of a problem being a digital display on the FK8 but I also think it’s less effective. I’d still rather a separate LED cluster I think

Hi I run an fk2 and the scrolling inwards lights believe me do work. You will find this once your fk8 is run in and you will be able to take the revs up. I thought do they actually work so I put my foot down and sure enough as the revs climbed the lights started to scroll inwards on the dash from the right and left when they almost touch in the middle they flash and that indicates the revs are very high and to change up. If you suddenly take your foot off the accelerator and don't use all the boost pressure you will hear a chatter and a chirping sound which is the electronic wastegate. It early frightened me to death the first time I heard it. Once I got used to it I thought it sounded great.
Regards Fred.

The scrolling inward lights are there to warn you of the rpm's are going up and that you need to change up. On my fk2 dash there is an arrow also indicating when to change up. I think to be honest in my fk2 they start at around 5000-5500 up 7000. To be honest I personally don't think it's necessary to take the engine up to the redline all the time, for one thing you will run out of road fairly quickly. Taking the engine up to the redline occasionally is ok and it allegedly is supposed to break down any accumulated carbon build up.
The k20C1 engine isn't like the VTEC naturally aspirated type R's that used to red line at 8600 rpm. However given the torque figure and bhp at 7000rpm isn't too bad.
Regards Fred.

Last edited:
Just to follow on from my previous reply I've not heard or seen 1 documented case of carbon build up in any of the fk2 and fk8's. If anyone has I'd be very interested to hear, as I'm sure other members would also be. It has been mentioned that the type R's have a good pcv system and coupled with engine settings seems to avoid carbon build up.
Regards Fred.

Back