• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Thinking of buying my first Honda... EP3 type R UK spec

I know a little about Civic and the pretty popular k20 motor. but mostly a Mazda Subaru kinda guy .

The one I am looking at buying seems okay. Based off how stiff the clutch feels and what I read the clutch needs to be replaced will add a LSD while its in the shop for the clutch.

Biggest red flags for me are the 3 no name tires and one goodyear f1. Pretty common place in Ireland but on a type R ? Seems a bit silly and could be telling of the owner. The other thing is that all work done on the car including oil changes was done by a local shop... Which is fine but the owner has no invoices only stickers in the log back.

He was a bit unsure on the oil weight he think its 5w-30 or 0w-30 Castrol edge full synthetic but without invoices I have no real proof. Same with the timing chain was it OEM honda parts used ?

Overall the car itself seemed fine I didn't see any rust no loud bangs or pops when driving on crappy roads. Vtec hit and the car pulled smoothly.

Oh and whats with the RECARO on the back of the seat. I can't seem to find any other type R with this.. I am guessing the owner or maybe the one before added a RECARO sticker lol.

Anyway would love to know what you guys think and if I should walk away. I want this car mostly for track use so thinks like brakes and suspension will be changed out.

Thanks !

Link to the car

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2005-honda-civic-type-r-premier-edition/26740865

Last edited by a moderator:
The Recaro seats are standard, that's a premier edition. Get the oil changed and stick some 5w40 millers or fuchs fully synthetic in, particularly on that mileage. I see it has a tegiwa induction kit too. Random tyres are not uncommon, some people just don't want to spend on premium tyres.

The Recaro seats are standard, that's a premier edition. Get the oil changed and stick some 5w40 millers or fuchs fully synthetic in, particularly on that mileage. I see it has a tegiwa induction kit too. Random tyres are not uncommon, some people just don't want to spend on premium tyres.

I know the Recaro's are standard but none of the other ones have RECARO on the back in white. My thinking was someone added a sticker just wasn't sure figured I would ask.

Man tires are so important even more so on a sports car why cheap out. Makes no sense to me but I guess its common place.

Yeah the intake has a nice sound to it when vtec hits beside that quite sems to be a popular intake.

Do you guys happen to know if the steering rack recall was needed for the 05 model ?

Back