• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Engine cooling fans kick up and burning oil smell

Over the last few days after driving and even when driving I get a smell of burning oil. I have looked over the engine bay and cant see any signs off heavy leaking oil. Their is deposit signs where the rocker cover gasket seals but nothing major. I have had a good look around but cant see any major signs. Iv kept checking my levels and these all seem to be good...any ideas?
The other question is the 2 front cooling fans are continusly kicking up, they stop for 3-5 secs then both kick up for 8-10 secs then stop and then again and again continuaslly cycle like this all the time. Is this correct on how they should runs. My car before never did this so its new to me, is this correct operation of the fans.

The fans should only operate when the coolant hits the temp that triggers them.
I assume you have checked oil & coolant levels?

Is the AC stuck on since one of them should only kick in when AC is on?

Checked oil level which is fine as for checking the coolant levels that us hard to see the coolant level. So instead I removed the raidiator cap and checked to see if that is full which it is all times when cooled down or before driving. I get no rise in temp when driving as this stays at a constant level. Now when im stationary or pull up to the traffic lights it just kicks up all the time. I didnt think this was right and didnt make sense.

Well that's all the obvious things checked and appear ok.

do you do a lot of slow traffic driving in town?
this would keep the fans busy as there is no forced air flow across the radiator from driving at speed.

I have been reading a little concerning the fans. I found you have to manually turn the A/C off otherwise its on automatically and the fans kick up all the time constanlly. I have turned the aircon off that shows on your display and the fans air behaving as i think they should now, not kicking up all the time now, as for the oil smell its going into the garage for a check over tomorrow morning for any leaks. Im thinking they might be a small leak that dripping onto a component that hot and giving off the smell. Thanks for the replys wilmo

Back