• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Fwd traction in 300bhp cars

How does the fk2 and fk8 cope with the power being fwd? My TT (fwd) has F1 asy5 tyres and struggles to get the power down. It does have 303lbft of torque and only weighs 1280kg so I can see why it would spin up so easily. I can do some mods to help it but wondered how the stock Rs cope in the first place?
One other thing is the oem TT tyre pressure recommendations are 32f and only 26r, I'd imagine a softer rear tyre wouldn't help with weight transfer on acceleration.

I doubt the softer rear tyres makes much difference as the profile is only small, the rear suspension would have more of an affect.
I've only driven a friends FK2, albeit a while ago, and I thought the grip was amazing. It was dry and warm, I bet they break traction in this weather if provoked, though they have newer tech/suspension design than the TT which will also aid mechanical grip.

I don't think many cars would be able to get that sort of power down on a cold wet road. Even our Superb with 140bhp will spin the ps4s in 2nd!

My ep3 is a handful in the wet even in 3rd with a lsd and not torque to speak of. I've never tried full wet tyres though, I've heard they make a huge difference but I'm yet to run any.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

My non charged ep3 would spin up a bit but with similar weight I guess the increased torque of the TT doesn't help. I have put a thicker rarb on but I guess the oem suspension will still be the problem, whereas the FKs suspension is newer as you say. Think I'll do one mod at a time to tackle it. Finally put the gearbox mount polybush in, then maybe an anti lift kit.

The Cupra has VAQ front diff, EDC etc etc. It's still pish useless at putting the power down in anything but dry weather. The polybush stops it tramping as badly, but it'll still spin. Too much torque too low down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to overtake a van on a dual carriageway,the other day,in 3rd gear & the traction control kicked in !

Anybody that says the FK2 or FK8 can get their power down in anything but perfect Summer weather is a liar :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Back